Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
January 23, 2018, 10:15:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Places of interest  (Read 8434 times)
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 01:13:25 AM »

I've always wanted to see a ruined settlement in the middle of a swamp. Kind of an homage to Monty Python's Holy Grail, really.
That sounds good but you have to realize that if someone does for some insane reason build a settelment in the middle of a swamp, it'd be pretty unlikely for it to get ruined because of invasion.
I kinda like this idea, though I think that maybe we should make an official thread for it instead of making a new one every time someone wants to suggest this again.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 04:16:24 AM »

a lava fissure, into which you stick machetes and cutlasses so they become heavy swords (or ,with a higher probability, shatter).

Didn't I read this in a book or something?  Started with "Lord of the" something.

Lord of the Flies?

No. That wasn't it. Wink

Heh. I seem to be the only person on the planet who hasn't read that "Lord of the..." book/s. Obviously I'm channelling the gestalt.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 04:21:30 AM »

Some more ideas for places of interest:

* Hidden locations - a hidden cave behind the waterfall on Shartak mountain, secret backrooms in trader huts, etc.  You have to search for the entrance to find it.

* More ruins, including some on beaches and shallow water.

* Abandoned shipwrecks, with multiple rooms/spaces to explore and possibly encounter strange wildlife that have taken up residency (giant lobsters?).

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
Mark D. Stroyer

Danger is my middle name.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 05:15:51 AM »

Johan, now THAT is a solid suggestion, there. But what would be a good entrance find rate? 10%? Also, after you find it the first time, would it be easier to find again? Perhaps only if you set it with a map marker? Also, maybe a few hidden locations in the middle of the jungle, underneath dirt-covered trap doors. And when entering that square, there is a chance, perhaps 30%, of triggering an event, such as, "Taking a step, you hear a muffled hollow thump as your foot hits the ground."

Mark D. Stroyer
Derby Rangers. Leader.
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 09:18:54 AM »

Some more ideas for places of interest:
* Abandoned shipwrecks, with multiple rooms/spaces to explore and possibly encounter strange wildlife that have taken up residency (giant lobsters?).

The gushing fanboy in me just did a little thrilled giggle. Giant lobsters! I'd personally like to see a cavern full of giant ants, like a B-grade 1950s sci-fi movie, just for the hell of it.

The reef which grounded the Hellborn Strumpet up to the north could be the resting place of that abandoned shipwreck. It could be inhabited by somewhat grouchy mermaids armed with tridents.

I'd also like to see a labyrinth with a minotaur under the mountain, but perhaps that's asking too much.

Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 02:23:07 PM »

Interesting ideas Johan but still just buildings with different names. I'm proposing things that actually help you in game. Things to be faught over and defended. A bit like the conch but stationary in the middle of the jungle.

The reason I'm suggesting this is that we know people have left because of lack of solid goals. This sort of thing may serve as an aim for some people and will hence keep more people playing. Which I think we all agree is generally a good thing.

Ultimately I think a few of these optional mini-quest like things kicking around at any one time would make the game much more interesting. Perhaps combined with a "Current Activities" page in-game which lists them as well as any player organised events.

The idea being to show some possible aims for players who are getting bored with Shartak but are not required so others can still get on with policing, trading etc.

Something like a minotaur or other large, strong animal to hunt would make a nice little quest. Give him 1000HP and the ability to re-gain some every AP cycle and you've got a challenge that will atttract a lot of players. And may even persuade some to start meta-gaming in order to better kill it.

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Somaut - Servant of the empty wastes.

The Swath moves, the Tortoise will rise.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »

Something like a minotaur or other large, strong animal to hunt would make a nice little quest. Give him 1000HP and the ability to re-gain some every AP cycle and you've got a challenge that will atttract a lot of players. And may even persuade some to start meta-gaming in order to better kill it.

I'd realy like to see a 'white hart' sort of animal running through the jungle (as in narnia, the hobbit etc); a great white stag with 400 hp, regens 50hp every 30 mins and never attacks. moves one square normaly, but leaps a square if attacked. so you'd realy need a band of dedicated hunters (a la the kracken hunters) to track and pin it down.

Back on topic, i think a gold mine at the top of the mountain would be cool, or a gem mine in the far north eastern swamp (or a ship stuck inthe swamp, with art treasures to be searched for). Johans suggestion with sharing a limited number of spoils sound perfect. but maybe make it so you have to spend a whole 24hour cycle before you start getting anything.

Buttercup

=O

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 08:03:43 PM »

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:38:07 AM by Buttercup » Logged

Shartak:Buttercup Wiki:Buttercup Shintolin:Buttercup Exodus3000:Happy

I also play Urban Dead. On the wiki I'm Ms.Panes.
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »

Interesting ideas Johan but still just buildings with different names. I'm proposing things that actually help you in game.

I'm proposing interesting places to house them

The existing temple for example is somewhat boring after a while - but imagine if there was a secret door which led further to something that those who found it might fight over?

It seems to me that this thread's generated three idea/suggestions - places of interest, interesting places of interest, and creatures of interest - do we want to keep discussion all in this thread or split some of it off into other threads?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:46:23 PM by Johan Crichton » Logged

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 02:27:36 AM »

a hidden cave behind the waterfall on Shartak mountain,
Awhile ago I thought up that and actually tried going to the waterfall again to check if there might be one. I didn't think of searching though, just tried clicking on the mountain square to the north.
Come to think of it, how do you know some of these secret locations don't already exist? 
I'd be interested to see a maze type thing with a reward at the end. The specific thing I thought it up for was a magical sword appropriate to the hiding spot guarded by a special creature.

Buttercup

=O

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 02:50:41 AM »

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:37:56 AM by Buttercup » Logged

Shartak:Buttercup Wiki:Buttercup Shintolin:Buttercup Exodus3000:Happy

I also play Urban Dead. On the wiki I'm Ms.Panes.
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 04:19:04 AM »

I'd realy like to see a 'white hart' sort of animal running through the jungle (as in narnia, the hobbit etc); a great white stag with 400 hp, regens 50hp every 30 mins and never attacks. moves one square normaly, but leaps a square if attacked. so you'd realy need a band of dedicated hunters (a la the kracken hunters) to track and pin it down.

The white hart is a really really good idea. If its constantly moving its going to take coordination to pin down.

Back on topic, i think a gold mine at the top of the mountain would be cool, or a gem mine in the far north eastern swamp (or a ship stuck inthe swamp, with art treasures to be searched for). Johans suggestion with sharing a limited number of spoils sound perfect. but maybe make it so you have to spend a whole 24hour cycle before you start getting anything.
[/quote]

I suggested a treasure ship, laden with gold, stuck in the swamp some time ago.

I'd like there to be a way so that people have the option to cooperate for the greater good, or to war for the spoils, with both options being viable.

The main problem with concerted play at the moment is that most targets are villages, which have the advantage of a home shaman. No matter how many times you kill someone, they're going to have a massive advantage because they regenerate back home and kill you quickly.

The appearance of the tower at Midway was a cause for a battle, but because its basically just a stone tower, there was no reason to have a prolonged fight over it.

A treasure ship, a gold or gem mine, or some other location with great benefits attached to it which can only be achieved through concerted play is going to really benefit the game.

Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

I like the idea that players can choose to co-operate aswell. It gives people the choice to kill all the others there and hog all the gold or share it between them and stay alive longer. And no doubt you'd get people who'd advocate both.

Yeah exactly my point about the stone tower. At the end of the day it has no real use apart from sounding cool.

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Black Joe

Randomness is the right of all sentient beings.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 03:53:11 PM »

Perhaps the dead end tunnel could have a gold mine hidden away in it? As I recall, the center of the loop isn't being used for anything.
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 02:29:02 AM »

With the gold mine, I definitely don't like the idea of getting gold just by standing there.
Reducing other peoples gold, kinda iffy. The only way I can see this happening is if you get in each others way, which if you have two people on a 100/100 meter square, definitely not. You could probably have over 100 people (100 square meters area each, or 4 meters perimeter) on the square and if you were spaced evenly you still wouldn't get in each others way unless you were deliberately trying too, which would probably reduce the amount of gold you got.
Also, no heavy mining machinery. Shovels are the most we're getting.
And gold wouldn't replenish with time (at least not quickly enough to be worth coding). Gold isn't organic, it doesn't grow like trees, nor is it made like poison darts or bullets (well the coins can be made, and on that note how are you digging man (or woman-) made coins out of a mine? or cut gems for that matter...). It would have a continual supply just like weapon and medical huts, though if Simon is feeling especially realistic it might A: be found in veins were if you find one, you have a temporary increase in search odds, and would run out eventually, and/or B: have the gold/gems eventually mined out, but occasionally people will find new mines for some reason.

But what might work along the lines of a mine is something along the lines of the shipwreck, except that all/most of the treasure is in crates, bags, whatever, of which there's a limited supply. People would fight over it to try to get more treasure than others before it ran out (maybe to avoid people coming back too easily, roaming shamans would regard the ship as cursed and steer away?). The only problem is that it might be better to spend your AP by searching and healing yourself than by killing others, except possibly to prevent them from killing you. I'm just imagining if everyone in or near the wreck killed each other until there were only two people left, one who'd survived because nobody was left to kill him/her and the other who'd went into the ship and searched while everyone else killed each other outside. The survivor from the battle would spend his/her last few AP attacking the other person, who'd then finish him/her off in a couple hits and go back to searching undisturbed.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: