Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
April 24, 2018, 01:59:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Places of interest  (Read 9151 times)
Tom Failur

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »

It's a subject which has been brushed upon a few times in other threads but never had it's own thread.

I am proposing some more locations be introduced that have a practical pupose. The stone tower on the new island is nice but still essentially just a ruin with a different name. Much like the crows nest on the wreck. Cool but of no value outside RP.

However a few locations that provide people with valuable items or other boosts would leave people more reason to explore the island and cause turf wars between factions,clans or just individual people.

The first that comes to mind is a gold mine. (Feel free to dispte the numbers, these are just rough figures)
-Provides the person standing on it with 10 gold for every 3 hours that he is the only one standing there. If there is more than 1 person standing there then none of them get anything.

Similarly it could be a gem mine.
-Provides ther person standing on it with 1 gem every 3 hours as long as he is the only person there. If there is more than 1 person standing there then none of them get anything.

Perhaps a sacred temple that gives you 10XP every 5 hours as long as you are the only person standing on it.

And another one that heals you 10HP every 5 hours. But also gives more chance to get critical hits, thereby making you easier to kill.

These are just the first few ideas that are flowing out of me and onto the keyboard in no real organised manner.  Would love to see more pople come up with different locations or imporvements to mine.

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Cthulhu

I am forever...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »

I like the idea of the mines, but foresee people standing around a lot trying to out-wait someone to get their booty. That could be changed if we had mining skills. No waiting, all work

Another spin on the Sacred Temple could be that people are simply unable to harm others there. You try to hack Cthulhu's head off but find your arm unwilling to make the strike. Or, everytime you attack someone, you run the risk of being struck by a bolt of lightning from the alter.

These are just thoughts...

Lord Lordington

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »

I've always wanted to see a ruined settlement in the middle of a swamp. Kind of an homage to Monty Python's Holy Grail, really.

There'd be huts for supplies, making it a desirable location to hold for your guild. The surrounding swamp makes it challenging for people to successfully raid, calling for organised attacks rather than hit-and-runs.

Also, I wouldn't mind Dullham getting a swamp a bit closer to home. Derbyman and Yorkers can reach out of their windows to rummage around for muddy goods. All we have is a desert. Such a boring town.

http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=5741 - Lord Lordington: York-hating Durhamite patriot.
http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=8906 - Rancor Pigskin: Hideous crime-fighting troll thing from Wiksik.
Blahmicho

Have you Loved?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »

I can't say I'm too into these ideas of getting something for standing somewhere.

I'm all for new locations and game-flavor, but the mine/temple idea here seems a bit implausible

Quote from: Armadox_the_Butcher
I have abducted you into the numbers of the Scavengers as an official Scavenger by proxy. There now that your a Scavenger I don't have to kill you.....someone else will do it for me

My Character?
Black Joe

Randomness is the right of all sentient beings.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »

Perhaps if you searched/mined/whatever for the item instead?
Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:09:49 PM »

Hmm yes. But you can't mine it with somoene else on the square. Otherwise there would be no reason to fight over it.

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:16:18 AM »

The first that comes to mind is a gold mine. (Feel free to dispte the numbers, these are just rough figures)
-Provides the person standing on it with 10 gold for every 3 hours that he is the only one standing there. If there is more than 1 person standing there then none of them get anything.

Similarly it could be a gem mine.
-Provides ther person standing on it with 1 gem every 3 hours as long as he is the only person there. If there is more than 1 person standing there then none of them get anything.

Given the lack of proper mining tools, it's probably easier to find gems and gold in the few rivers on Shartak...  I like the idea, but would suggest instead:

Gold mine: Every 6 hours, 10 gold is found by the people present, and divided between them, e.g. if there's one prospector, they get 10 gold.  If there's two prospectors, they each get 5 gold.  Want more gold?  Persuade other prospectors to leave.

Gem mine: Every 6 hours, 1 gem is found by the prospectors present, which prospector finds the gem is determined at random, and the discovery is announced:
Armadox suddenly lets out a whoop as he picks up a gem.
thus again, providing an incentive to provide an incentive to others to leave the area of the mine...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 01:20:23 AM by Johan Crichton » Logged

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 01:29:40 AM »

These are great ideas. I really like the gold mine/gem mine especially. Some other suggestions:

1. a fountain of youth/healing waters. You sit in a spring and your wounds are healed.

2. a plantation, with an abundance of fruit.

3. a lava fissure, into which you stick machetes and cutlasses so they become heavy swords (or ,with a higher probability, shatter).

The best idea I've seen so far on this is Skull Face's underwater city, with its pearling.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Black Joe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 05:52:23 AM »

a lava fissure, into which you stick machetes and cutlasses so they become heavy swords (or ,with a higher probability, shatter).

Didn't I read this in a book or something?  Started with "Lord of the" something.

Lord of the Flies?

No. That wasn't it. Wink
0000FF Beard

KotIRC_C

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »

These are great ideas. I really like the gold mine/gem mine especially. Some other suggestions:

1. a fountain of youth/healing waters. You sit in a spring and your wounds are healed.

That's a great idea.
It seems like something that would be perfect for Shartak, considering the century in which we play.
Even if not with the mechanics of this suggestion, I'd still like to see it.

Buttercup

=O

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:39:47 AM by Buttercup » Logged

Shartak:Buttercup Wiki:Buttercup Shintolin:Buttercup Exodus3000:Happy

I also play Urban Dead. On the wiki I'm Ms.Panes.
Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »

There's already a temple in the north east.
Buttercup

=O

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:39:34 AM by Buttercup » Logged

Shartak:Buttercup Wiki:Buttercup Shintolin:Buttercup Exodus3000:Happy

I also play Urban Dead. On the wiki I'm Ms.Panes.
Black Joe

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »

Does the temple have any special attributes?

It produces a relatively large number of tiger tooth amulets, and it attracts pirates.
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »

There's already a temple in the north east.

Yes, but it's close enough to the Shipwreck such that it essentially belongs to the Pirates.

Ideally, places of interest would be far enough away from settlements such that no one group could dominate the place of interest.

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: