Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
September 21, 2017, 04:51:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Archery  (Read 5272 times)
Tom Failur

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2007, 08:16:46 PM »

Well I decided to suggest archery for Shartak as it makes sense and bows are cool.

Items
Bow-
Found in native camps.
Base accuracy: 20%
Damage: 4
Requires arrows to fire.
Can't be preloaded, firing costs 2AP.

Crossbow-
Found in outsider camps and the shipwreck.
Base accuracy: 25%
Damage: 4
Requires bolts to fire.
Loading costs 2AP (string is hard to draw back) and firing costs 1AP.

Skills
Archery- Increase accuracy with a bo or crossbow by 15%
Advanced Archery- Increase accuracy with a bow or crossbow by 15%

This would mean that they wouldn't be as powerful or as accurate as the rifle or blowpipe but more so than the melee weapons. But they require ammunition and more AP use.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:21:36 PM by Tom Failur » Logged

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Mark D. Stroyer

Danger is my middle name.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »

Make the crossbow more powerful, since for the most part they were, and also to counterbalance the additional cost. Pretty good, though...

Mark D. Stroyer
Derby Rangers. Leader.
Blahmicho

Have you Loved?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 08:50:30 PM »

This does sound nice, though an extra AP to use for only a 5% increase in accuracy doesn't fit well.

Quote from: Armadox_the_Butcher
I have abducted you into the numbers of the Scavengers as an official Scavenger by proxy. There now that your a Scavenger I don't have to kill you.....someone else will do it for me

My Character?
Lord Lordington

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:05:53 PM »

I really don't see the benefit of it. Even with the full 50% accuracy you're never likely to do more than around 40 damage in a single attack, when you consider movement to your target and double AP for firing.

The only ranged weapon needed is the pirate's pistol.

http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=5741 - Lord Lordington: York-hating Durhamite patriot.
http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=8906 - Rancor Pigskin: Hideous crime-fighting troll thing from Wiksik.
Mark D. Stroyer

Danger is my middle name.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 09:28:37 PM »

you're never likely to do more than around 40 damage in a single attack

Edit: *Clears throat.* Forty...points...of damage...in ONE ATTACK?! And I thought the heavy sword had a high damage-to-AP ratio.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 09:42:24 PM by Mark D. Stroyer » Logged

Mark D. Stroyer
Derby Rangers. Leader.
Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »

Can you use some words next time Mark? Even if that's supposed to be morse code it clearly doesn't say very much.

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Belgarath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 09:34:25 PM »

depending on the weight of arrows and amount of AP you might get 60 damage in an attack.

Damn Microsoft, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kYvZnTFpip0
http://www.shartak.com/head.cgi?id=6193
http://aaron.justgotowned.com/ a must watch!

What is the riddle of shartak?

Crom laughs at your thread deletion!
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 10:12:22 PM »

depending on the weight of arrows and amount of AP you might get 60 damage in an attack.
In ONE attack? 

Lord Lordington

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »

So an attack now means a single hit...

In that case, were there 150,000 D-Day invasions?

http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=5741 - Lord Lordington: York-hating Durhamite patriot.
http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=8906 - Rancor Pigskin: Hideous crime-fighting troll thing from Wiksik.
KingBiscuit

LOOK OUT

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 11:14:34 PM »

I don't like the idea of the crossbow in-game. Historically speaking, it went out of vogue well before the time of European colonization. The pistol would be a more appropriate weapon.

The bow is thematic. Would its skill tree be available to all natives?

“I’m an Indian tonight, baby,” he announced. “C’mon, let’s let ’em have it.” Then he dumped a pickle jar of change on the floor, told her to get a machete, and went out to the garage.
Skull Face

Chimay Red

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »

Make the crossbow more powerful, since for the most part they were, and also to counterbalance the additional cost. Pretty good, though...

No, they were not. You are misinformed. Crossbows became popular with levy troops due to the fact that less training / skill was required. A longbow contemporary with medieval / Renaissance crossbows was significantly more powerful at piercing armour and had greater range. Composite bows also offered significant advantages.

Now if you want to talk bows in the jungle, that's a different matter entirely. You can start with rotting bowstrings and corroded metal parts.

Archer

100% Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 04:28:48 AM »

Awesome.
Euphenics

καλλίστῃ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 06:06:12 AM »

Now if you want to talk bows in the jungle, that's a different matter entirely. You can start with rotting bowstrings and corroded metal parts.
Because rifles stand up any better?

I am under the impression that Shartak rifles are of the lock, stock, and shock variety. The main reason colonial troops were trained to use them was because it was feared natives would be able to use crossbows as easily as their own weapons due to similar mechanics. Even today they are banned in many places where you can easily buy assault rifles and machine pistols.

It shouldn't be more difficult to load a crossbow than any twin barrel rifle. Ten 2 AP 50% 4 HP attacks don't compare to twenty 1 AP 45% 3 HP attacks (7 HP less not counting Balanced stance and arrows).

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »

I really don't see the benefit of it. Even with the full 50% accuracy you're never likely to do more than around 40 damage in a single attack, when you consider movement to your target and double AP for firing.

I agree - I'd rather spend my APs on a rifle.

It could be offset by a "headshot" - because of the accuracy of the bow or crossbow, you get a 3% chance of a 10HP hit to your victim.

If that was the case I'd give a crossbow a go every now and again for that windfall attack bonus.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 12:01:44 PM »

I am no good with maths and numbers so I hoped someone would work on a way to improve my fairly random choice of numbers so that them a viable weapon choice but not overpowering everything else.

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: