Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
May 21, 2018, 02:09:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regarding the Colonial Police and...  (Read 5600 times)
Malice

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2006, 09:16:24 PM »

York bubbling over with corrupt criminal arrogance and various degrees of racism towards all other settlements.

I'm fairly sure most of us have had it with how York is being run, or how people are attempting to run it. Various things over the last few months have shown that the Order of Patriots are bumbling fools who prefer to run their mouths instead of picking up a weapon.

And now with this Militia or something headed by Serious Sam or so (who I didn't even know about until a short while ago, but who seems to be much like how the OoP acts) who ALSO claim to be the ones who can restore order to York...

I'm also fed up with how there appear to be 3 groups who just fail to see that the Mercenary's Guild is NOT a band of bandits, but just that - a guild for mercenaries. And the following paragraph is Out of Character.

Mercenaries are hired to do stuff. Hired as in, they get paid to do stuff. Since Shartak has no set government (although many think it does and pretend so) and no set ruler, it's generally a free-for-all. Mercenaries are paid to kill, they don't kill for the hell of it. And if they do, it's not because they're mercenaries, it's because they're sadistic drunken louts - we've never denied that. Come on, we have an Opium Den. We're just here to have a good time. We're one of the largest, most active, and most coordinated groups on Shartak. We recently changed our code a bit so we could do more of what we want(IE, help protect Durham from the Durham Headhunt Contestants without needing to be paid for doing so - out of loyalty for Durham and our desire to keep it the way it is - a friendly home for many pirates and reformed criminals who wish humanity little or no harm). I don't understand how some groups refuse to believe that we don't kill everyone on sight. We had more people protecting Durham than all other groups combined had sent. More than a third of the Medic's hut in Durham consisted of mercenaries from the MG. And nobody was forced to come. Everyone came of their own free will, to show their good will to Durham.

As for the third raid on York, which the MG took part in (and started, technically): We won, and York won. We killed many of you, you killed many of us, but both sides won... you did not kick us out - we hit our deadline and we left. We announced that by that deadline we'd leave, and when it came, we left. Until then, we kept attacking. You didn't kick us out, you didn't eradicate us, you didn't force us to run away in shambles. We got our gold, you fought back with nail and teeth. Sure, it was mostly individuals and one or two zergers who caused us the most trouble, but you fought well regardless, and you slowed us considerably. We were doing that for the gold, not to derail York. That hit was paid for. Get over it.

Here's a quote from Serious Sam on the CP forum, found here.

"Who are you to spout your rubbish? Oh wait, the leader of a failed invasion. We are apparently rubbish, yet your the ones who couldn't conquer York with the help of ships fulls of pirates. Congrats."

Not a failed invasion. Not even an invasion. We didn't even attempt to conquer York, we just killed loads of people and left. As for the pirates... if I recall, the JRG sent four pirates who got lost (I'm not putting the JRG down for this, everyone knows it's a harsh journey from the wreck to York) and never even made it to York.
The third "invasion" on York was merely the MG and no other group that we know of participated.

Here's the point: Who else is fed up with how York is being "run," by arrogant leaders who sit in their HQ all day and every now and then venture out to kill a pirate? I'm not trying to get a flame war going, and if that's what you have in mind after reading all this, then please refrain from posting. Just a civilised discussion on the OoP, CP, MG, and the Militia involving everyone.

Edit: I took this from the clan stat page:
Clan NameActive Members
Mercenary's Guild
Colonial Police
Order of Patriots
Colonial Militia

All of the MG is active on the forums and in the game. No disagreements, no squabbling, no infighting. We all get along. I've seen the CP fight amongst themselves a few times and there aren't enough of the OoP and CM to fight against each other with. Yet these groups continue to claim that they could wipe out the MG with a slip of their hand. My answer: Yeah, right. Just be happy we're not bandits and very few of us are native to York, or you'd have a much bigger problem on your hands.
  alligator yarrrrrrr! yarr yarr! I hate you ;) take this and this! heavy sword
(with smileys like these, who WOULDN'T spam with them?!)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 09:34:06 PM by Erados » Logged

My Characters:
The Malice - Durham Vigilante/Lobbyist
Serious Sam

The Sentinel of York

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 09:49:09 PM »

I've already had a go at 'the' malice about this. You are probably him but if not then I'll address this attack on the 'Pro-York' groups now. I'll keep it civil because you have; you seem to have more of sense of manners than your esteemed colleague. However, you still flame, but we'll leave that. Despite your post being biased and a blatant attempt at rousing the cliche anti-York sentiment I will respond without any attack.

1.) I'm fed up of debating who won. Put whatever spin on it you wish. Think whatever you like; it's not like you'll listen anyway. I agree that if we 'both win' then it eases the tension there. A good proposition for the sakes of decreasing the severity of the argument. Good idea.

2.) More than the MG took part. Read the wiki if your unsure. Positive identifications on Scurvy crew and JRG members were given throughout the defense force's co-ordination.

3.) York is not run by the OOP, CP or 1st Colonial Militia. They defend it. You pk without provocation; you get taken down. I don't see that as tyranny. These groups are defending the citizens of York. From murderers like you (for whatever reason you kill). Don't like it? Go somewhere else. It seems Durham is the haven for criminals nowadays.

4.) You are not angry at York, your just annoyed that you and your group are listed as criminals (rightly so). I couldn't care less about the history of mercs, all your members seem to have learnt these 'set phrases'. It's no excuse to murder. We never said you don't have purpose behind your killings; but murder, for whatever reason, is unacceptable. I like the idea of the MG very much but it doesn't mean i won't be opposed to it In game.

5.) You talk about us doing nothing , especially the OOP who you seem to target with your flame. Yet you say yourself that it were these people who stopped you in your tracks in York. You'll find on the underworld that the OOP have the biggest kill count of MG personnel; not too shabby. We as a loose coalition do alot more than you give us credit for.

You wanna have a chat. Don't flame. Don't talk smack about groups like the OOP. They haven't said anything about you. You claim to want no flame war but you start flaming in the first thread. There is no need for personal attacks.

I hope that has shown some cards on the table. I can only speak from my group's viewpoint. No doubt the others will respond. I look forward to a civilized discussion rather than the flaming that is occuring on the CP boards.

Malice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:02:28 PM »

I've already had a go at 'the' malice about this. You are probably him but if not then I'll address this attack on the 'Pro-York' groups now. I'll keep it civil because you have; you seem to have more of sense of manners than your esteemed colleague. However, you still flame, but we'll leave that. Despite your post being biased and a blatant attempt at rousing the cliche anti-York sentiment I will respond without any attack.
Yeah, I'm The Malice, I'd figured that was obvious. I don't think I have more manners than my esteemed colleague (me) as that's also me. So yeah. My post is only biased at the end where I'm talking about how you should get numbers and tactics before you challenge us. Right now it's just you in your clan, Sam.
1.) I'm fed up of debating who won. Put whatever spin on it you wish. Think whatever you like; it's not like you'll listen anyway. I agree that if we 'both win' then it eases the tension there. A good proposition for the sakes of decreasing the severity of the argument. Good idea.
Right, but this had already been decided until you showed up and suddenly changed that.
2.) More than the MG took part. Read the wiki if your unsure. Positive identifications on Scurvy crew and JRG members were given throughout the defense force's co-ordination.
But it wasn't even an invasion... I suppose we're so daunting that when you all saw us coming you went "oh no!" and thought all of Shartak was pouring in. It was just us, doing all this for a total of about 200 gc. The guy who paid for it was Wojciech, former MG ringleader who has emigrated from the island and was actually no longer playing the game when he paid for the hit, and he was officially out of the MG as well. So it was an official, 'legal' hit on York, paid for by outside sources who had a problem with the storm in York. We just invited a few other clans to help stir things up a bit more.
3.) York is not run by the OOP, CP or 1st Colonial Militia. They defend it. You pk without provocation; you get taken down. I don't see that as tyranny. These groups are defending the citizens of York. From murderers like you (for whatever reason you kill). Don't like it? Go somewhere else. It seems Durham is the haven for criminals nowadays.
We've been going somewhere else. Why do you think very few of us stay in York? It's a hell-hole. We prefer Durham or Derby or the shipwreck. However, your group is specifically created to restoring the same York-ish order of operations to Durham and Derby, which is why I feel bothered by it. You've got York, everyone's pretty much okay with York and considers it a haven for tyranny, but you're not breaking into Durham or Derby and doing the same as long as I have anything to say about it. Oh, and you're all murderers too, because you've killed quite a few folks as well.
4.) You are not angry at York, your just annoyed that you and your group are listed as criminals (rightly so). I couldn't care less about the history of mercs, all your members seem to have learnt these 'set phrases'. It's no excuse to murder. We never said you don't have purpose behind your killings; but murder, for whatever reason, is unacceptable. I like the idea of the MG very much but it doesn't mean i won't be opposed to it In game.
I don't care that we're listed as criminals. I care that groups claim to be able to best us, and that they smear our name in the mud at any given opportunity, and that they fail to see the RP element in a game where you can do stuff in exchange for Gold.
5.) You talk about us doing nothing , especially the OOP who you seem to target with your flame. Yet you say yourself that it were these people who stopped you in your tracks in York. You'll find on the underworld that the OOP have the biggest kill count of MG personnel; not too shabby. We as a loose coalition do alot more than you give us credit for.
Really? I don't believe that, because I've never seen anyone besides Hazen and Bungle from the OoP. We're talking clans here, not coalitions... And if you're really a huge secretive 'group,' then you aren't seen as such by anyone and thus are useless in a real battle because you're all parts of other groups as well.
You wanna have a chat. Don't flame. Don't talk smack about groups like the OOP. They haven't said anything about you. You claim to want no flame war but you start flaming in the first thread. There is no need for personal attacks.
I haven't flamed on this thread. I don't think you know exactly what flaming is. Here's an example, just for future reference:

Person1: lol u s*ck
Person2: f*ck u l0ser
Person3: omfg i did ur mom
Person2: lol omg pwnd
Person3: i wuz talking 2 u lol
Person1: lol omfg pwnd
Person2: fuk u fuker
Censored because there's probably going to be people who take offense to the "u" being in the word.

I hope that has shown some cards on the table. I can only speak from my group's viewpoint. No doubt the others will respond. I look forward to a civilized discussion rather than the flaming that is occuring on the CP boards.
As do I. That's why  I made this.
So now that we've both made our points, let's shut up and let everyone else contribute.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:07:39 PM by Erados » Logged

My Characters:
Lutheran

Opponent of Catholicism.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 10:55:23 PM »

I also have a gripe against the Colonial Police, that they have not addressed the religious violence in York in which Catholics have been murdering protestants.

But! Mercenaries without morals would soon abandon any notion of protestantism and work for the Pope himself, if he paid them to. I also have reason to believe that the "mercenaries guild" may be a Jesuit front organisation-- we know that Erados the leader is an extreme Roman Catholic himself, and that one of their top mercenaries Agent47 is working for the Church of Rome. How far does this "rabbit hole" go?

So, fellow protestants: Would we, rather than allowing the protestant Order of Patriots, the protestant Colonial Milita, and the Colonial Police to rule York, would we rather allow York to be taken over by the Pope himself? We say: NEVER!! NEVER!! NEVER!! Never.

No! To York becoming a Catholic stronghold

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am Lutheran of the Protestant League.
G3N

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 11:10:02 PM »

The cause of all the troubles of humanity is obviously Pirates! Why do people fail to see this!! It surely agonizes the good people of York and Durham, and yet the authorities do NOT DO ENOUGH to exterminate the Pirate threat for good!
Regarding the Colonial Police - As an honourable Pirate Hunter, it is my humble wish for the good people (NOT Savages!) of York to feel safe in their homes. For any civillised society a police force is necessary. If it wasn't for the Colonial Police, there would be homeless people and drunkards all over the place. That would surely be unpleasant for the peoples of York. If the Colonial Police were abolished, what would York use as a police force?
As for the Mercenrys Guild, I feel Mercenrys are necessary in some conflicts. But they should ABSOLUTELY NOT HIRE THEMSELVES OUT TO PIRATES!!! It is only natural for Mercenries to be unpopular - by hiring themselves out to work for someone, it is only natural that some people would see them as "siding with the enemy" - even though they are just in it for the gold.

(OOC:)
This whole thread is pure gold.  Grin
I love the whole rabid MG, OOP, CP and any-other-clans-that-get-involved debates that go on. I feel all the arguments that goes on among these groups makes meta-gaming heaps more fun 

York bubbling over with corrupt criminal arrogance and various degrees of racism towards all other settlements.

I don't see that as tyranny. These groups are defending the citizens of York. From murderers like you (for whatever reason you kill). Don't like it? Go somewhere else. It seems Durham is the haven for criminals nowadays.

I don't care that we're listed as criminals. I care that groups claim to be able to best us, and that they smear our name in the mud at any given opportunity.

Even though "officialy" some of it may be OOC, for all effective purposes it is pretty much in-character - since the arguments are all over ingame-related issues and reflect the attitudes of the characters and groups in the game anyway...

The fact that people and groups can get into a heated argument about stuff that happens ingame helps to make Shartak a worthwhile game to play. 
The fact that towns like Durham and York have their own distinct character and history as well as the numerous different players and clans and the interaction between them is pretty sweet.

I should probably get The Pirate Hunters up and running again... 

characters:

Pirate/Idiot: G3N

Cannibal: Master Teeth

Hired Killer: Kamikui

Shaman: Rill
Malice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 01:14:27 AM »

Zeff hit the nail on the head, but I did want to get this stuff cleared up.

Lutheran, I'm gonna say this once, and never mention it again - I'm a Roman Catholic by birth, my whole family is. That doesn't mean I'm a deeply religious fanatic or an extremist. Don't bring my actual religion into it. I might just have to go Mafia on you, because *Godfather accent* we are very close, and it would not bode well for your health to insult me or my family.

Seriously, though, even though you're RPing a religious nut, don't bring people's real life religion into it. That's going to get seriously heated debates going, and I don't feel up to explaining my whole situation here. Not really for me - I don't care much about religion, I'll find out if there's a hell if I get sent there, at least I'll have had fun - but if you go and offend an actual religion OoC you're going to get yourself in trouble. Don't care what you say about my characters... One is a merchant pirate who doesn't do anything violent, one is a noble murderer with over 70 pirate kills under his belt, and the other one runs the MG and has quite a few kills under his name and probably isn't going to Shartak Heaven. If you meant The Malice instead of Erados (I don't have a character named Erados so I don't think you were talking about my Character, The Malice) as being a religious extremist, then you're horribly mis-informed. He's killed people inside a makeshift church in York.

I wonder... oh, I wonder... if a pirate PKer who openly hates York opened a Catholic Church which doubles as a Tavern. In York. Oooh, the drama that would unleash.

Also, Zeff, I don't understand how you can be okay with the MG - we openly allow Pirates to join up. In fact, one of the ringleaders, Tom Failur, Butcher of York, is a pirate!

As for the drama, I'm just trying to keep my favorite clan out of the muck, which is a full-time job.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 01:20:07 AM by The Malice » Logged

My Characters:
G3N

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 02:17:03 AM »

(OOC:)About Lutheran rping the zealous anti-Catholic Protestant nutjob: I agree that he should ensure that anything religious stays obviously in character. It seems blatantly obvious that he dosn't intend to cause any offence to RL Protestants and Catholics. But yeah, be careful to keep it in character - some people can be pretty sensitive about religion.
I don't think that bringing FICTIONAL Catholicism and Protestantism should be a problem - as long as its in good humour with no offensive religious slur. I mean Shartak is completely fictional, but it is loosely based on real life colonial history - where there was plenty of racism, xenophobia and religious conflict. Since we already have plenty of roleplay racism in the game, I don't see any problem with roleplaying religious conflict. As long as such things stay strictly in character, I'm OK with it. Of course i don't accept RL racism etc..
Since this is an interesting subject, perhaps someone should make a separate thread sometime? Anyway, back on topic... 

Also, Zeff, I don't understand how you can be okay with the MG - we openly allow Pirates to join up. In fact, one of the ringleaders, Tom Failur, Butcher of York, is a pirate!

I absolutely did not say i was OK with the Mercenry's Guild! In fact i highly disapprove of them!! I merely said that using mercenries is sometimes a necessary millitary tactic!! Despite the fact that many mercenries are lowly scumbags and scoundrels without a shred of honour or manliness, i do not kill any person that is not a Pirate. Pirate Hunter's are sworn to protect the good people of Shartak (whom all idolize and love us as demi-gods) from the Pirate Peril - we must devote ourselves to this cause by swearing an oath never to kill anyone that is not a Pirate (Unless they really really really deserve it). Groups that are friendly or accepting towards Pirates are obviously hopelessly misguided or tricked by devious Pirate... trickery.... but they do not necessarily deserve death - if they do, then their death is the job of the local authorities, not the Pirate Hunters.
Pirates are the Pirate Hunter's only prey. This includes mercenries that are Pirates. Such as Tom Failur. I have never met him on the battlefield, but i'm sure it is only a matter of time before our blades meet... or rather his blade meets an improvised weapon of some description, as the Pirate Hunters are currently low on funds and cannot afford such luxuries like a machete.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:27:56 AM by Zeff » Logged

characters:

Pirate/Idiot: G3N

Cannibal: Master Teeth

Hired Killer: Kamikui

Shaman: Rill
Malice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 05:10:35 AM »

(OOC:)About Lutheran rping the zealous anti-Catholic Protestant nutjob: I agree that he should ensure that anything religious stays obviously in character. It seems blatantly obvious that he dosn't intend to cause any offence to RL Protestants and Catholics. But yeah, be careful to keep it in character - some people can be pretty sensitive about religion.
I don't think that bringing FICTIONAL Catholicism and Protestantism should be a problem - as long as its in good humour with no offensive religious slur. I mean Shartak is completely fictional, but it is loosely based on real life colonial history - where there was plenty of racism, xenophobia and religious conflict. Since we already have plenty of roleplay racism in the game, I don't see any problem with roleplaying religious conflict. As long as such things stay strictly in character, I'm OK with it. Of course i don't accept RL racism etc..
Since this is an interesting subject, perhaps someone should make a separate thread sometime? Anyway, back on topic... 

I absolutely did not say i was OK with the Mercenry's Guild! In fact i highly disapprove of them!! I merely said that using mercenries is sometimes a necessary millitary tactic!! Despite the fact that many mercenries are lowly scumbags and scoundrels without a shred of honour or manliness, i do not kill any person that is not a Pirate. Pirate Hunter's are sworn to protect the good people of Shartak (whom all idolize and love us as demi-gods) from the Pirate Peril - we must devote ourselves to this cause by swearing an oath never to kill anyone that is not a Pirate (Unless they really really really deserve it). Groups that are friendly or accepting towards Pirates are obviously hopelessly misguided or tricked by devious Pirate... trickery.... but they do not necessarily deserve death - if they do, then their death is the job of the local authorities, not the Pirate Hunters.
Pirates are the Pirate Hunter's only prey. This includes mercenries that are Pirates. Such as Tom Failur. I have never met him on the battlefield, but i'm sure it is only a matter of time before our blades meet... or rather his blade meets an improvised weapon of some description, as the Pirate Hunters are currently low on funds and cannot afford such luxuries like a machete.

I bet a fair share of our Opium - imported by Chinese merchants, not pirates - would change your mind about non-pirate mercenaries. I'm pretty sure that you're totally warped about Pirates, though. Pretty sure.

My Characters:
lama
iz doin it rite akshully

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 10:02:32 AM »

(...)

Censored because there's probably going to be people who take offense to the "u" being in the word.

Oh really? So what is this "u" doing there? 
just my

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 10:08:18 AM »

I like some of the CP, quite a lot. Kjendlie excepted of course, for his unprovoked attack post our truce on our non-combatant York branch manager on wrong and unproven allegation of zerging.

A Mercenaries Guild is always going to have trouble with a police force, that's a given.

But York has more than its fair share of nut jobs. If not for its central location I'd just give up on the place.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Malice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 02:09:55 PM »

(...)

Oh really? So what is this "u" doing there? 
just my

I meant the "u" in f:censored:k and suck.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 03:10:40 PM by Entropy » Logged

My Characters:
lama
iz doin it rite akshully

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 02:14:52 PM »

Oh, now I get it - and suck are the bad bad words, you acted wisely hiding the "u", oops, I mean "*" from the public

Malice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »

Oh, now I get it - and suck are the bad bad words, you acted wisely hiding the "u", oops, I mean "*" from the public

Prexactly.

My Characters:
KingBiscuit

LOOK OUT

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 08:14:52 PM »

OpiumJoe is a pirate that TOTALLY smuggles opium.

“I’m an Indian tonight, baby,” he announced. “C’mon, let’s let ’em have it.” Then he dumped a pickle jar of change on the floor, told her to get a machete, and went out to the garage.
Malice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 10:07:55 PM »

OpiumJoe is a pirate that TOTALLY smuggles opium.

Yeah, but I don't remember our accountants telling us about purchasing from YOU. Although we could probably work something out.

My Characters:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: