Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
October 23, 2017, 03:35:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Shartak Deforestation Movement  (Read 30401 times)
Somaut - Servant of the empty wastes.

The Swath moves, the Tortoise will rise.

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:23:14 PM »

I am hereby officiating the Shartak Deforestation Movement.

"Mindless mob mentality and fuzzy science at it's finest."

http://www.shartak.com/clanview.cgi?id=210

People work together towards a goal for many reasons; survival, power, gold or just to feel like they belong. But sometimes, sometimes they just want to do something because they can. There is no real point, there is no final destination, there is no real goal beyond the act itself. And that act is clearcutting huge swaths of jungle.

Anyone who's picked up a machete, cut down some jungle and thought 'hmm, i wonder what a realy big clearing would look like' this is the clan for you.
Anyone who's sick and tired of wandering around lost in the jungle whilst being eaten by tigers, this is the clan for you.

Not sure if there's a point to your meaningless existance? There's not. Join us.

And hey, we've even made up researched an excuse rational behind this:

Fact: Tigers eat people, and live in the jungle. Remove the jungle, no more tigers.
Fact: People get lost in the jungle. Remove the jungle, no more getting lost.
Fact: Ecosystem shift drives advantagous mutation selection. Remove the jungle, see higher rate of species evolution.

You see, if we have a huge amount of empty space, something will evolve to fill it. Remember those shargles? They didn't just appear at the whim of some great creator, they evolved to take advantage of an empty ecological niche. Likewise great swaths of gully-ridden desertified jungle will eventualy spawn the Shartak Island Desert Tortiose.

So join us on a journey of petty environmental vadalism as we cut a swath across the jungles of Shartak. Sharpen your machetes, the vines are tough. Bring your FAK's, we will be opposed.

Habitat destuction, loss of biodiversity, erosion, and species extinction be damned. This is what you want, and this is what you need.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:40:43 PM by Somaut » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:26:37 PM »

The movement is currently cutting a six square swath through the jungle south of the wreck, do have what it takes to ignore your own common sense?

Join the Movement, deforestate now!

Kilshrek

KotIRC_C

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »

Fact: Ecosystem shift drives advantagous mutation selection. Remove the jungle, see higher rate of species evolution.

I think that deforestation = loss of habitat = species extinction. My dear chap, evolution does not happen overnight as deforestation does. Just as it takes a tree many many years to grow as tall as it does, so too does it take many many years, perhaps longer, for speciation.

Though I have not had the luxury of reading it myself, I heard it is an excellent way to learn about evolution, and you should try it. It is called "The Origin of Species", by some learned fellow who's name I forget.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:43:46 PM »

I think that deforestation = loss of habitat = species extinction. My dear chap, evolution does not happen overnight as deforestation does. Just as it takes a tree many many years to grow as tall as it does, so too does it take many many years, perhaps longer, for speciation.

Though I have not had the luxury of reading it myself, I heard it is an excellent way to learn about evolution, and you should try it. It is called "The Origin of Species", by some learned fellow who's name I forget.

I think it was Socrates.
Have you ever seen an animal evolve? Of course not, that's because it happens instantaneously. I'm just doing my bit to help Mother Nature along. And I am very much aware of the possibility of species extinction, Mother Nature is a harsh mistress.

Kilshrek

KotIRC_C

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:29:55 PM »

Socrates it must be then! 

Hmm, I don't know if Mother Nature appreciates the helping hand, but to each their own. I shall be interested in observing your results.

On the side topic of species; Has anyone conducted a full study of shargles yet? Their anatomy must be most intriguing.
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:25:39 AM »

Have you ever seen an animal evolve?

Yes.  However, despite my killing some of them repeatedly, the Deforestation movement evolve in a curious way - they seem to become increasingly more stupid and insane over time.  Tongue

I'm just doing my bit to help Mother Nature along. And I am very much aware of the possibility of species extinction, Mother Nature is a harsh mistress.

Same here.  Of course, I'm hoping it's the Deforestation "Movement" that goes extinct.

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 10:50:16 AM »

Arr! We done it, down to tha beach and gone all the way east to the pool to boot, good work lads! We'll stick around the pool for the weekend to take part in the real time battle, then continue eastwards.

Any o' you scurvy dogs or native chaps feel like joining us after tha fight? Feel free, there's a long road ahead o' us.

And keep an eye out for thar tortiose. It's out there, or will be, or potentialy is... garr I be confusing meself.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:52:13 AM by Somaut » Logged

Wumple

cant we all just get along?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 04:36:05 AM »

most towns could fit in that now

im so confused right now.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 02:21:10 AM »

All right men, the battle was fought (and won) by the pirates and much yarrr!ing and Garrr!ing was said. But the battle gainst our real foe goes on.

Fill yer bottles and head south from archers puddle (the pool), a five wide swath heading right down to the southern coast between york and duraham. If that goes well we may make it to santa's hut by christmas.

Have at it men, and keep a look out for tigers which may eat you, and tortoises which I'm sure are around here somewhere.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »

Hmm, are there any deforestators actualy reading this, or am I talking to myself, not that there's anything wrong with that. Report in if your on active lumbarrr duty.

We've been having trouble with some unwanted elements of late: Stickside's been hanging around the swath, and he just stuck one of our native loggers:

Since your last move:
Stickside kills Karbok.

Stick im one if ya got the chance. Report all other murders if you can, don't let someone else's ignorance halt the great works.

And welcome to all tha new members.

In other news, we're make'n great head way, with four or five of us doing the hack, the slash and the grand chop were almost a third of the way down to the south coast:

and I'm impressed.

Wumple

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 07:19:34 AM »

I'm here, although im not chopping down trees at the moment... I was killed, walked all the way down to the tree front, got killed again, walked all the way down, started chopping, and my only machete died in the arse.

i went delusional with rage and wondered off into the jungle to go mushroom hunting. 

Armadox the Butcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 09:30:16 AM »

Somaut this has to be the stupidest idea ever, but in fairness of making a bet for you to defend your daft clan, I'll make you a deal. You clear out a great big rorschach test of a barren area, and if by some mystical chance you happen to come across the Desert Tortiose or it's more angry relative the Lockjaw Snapping Turtle, I will join your clan.

...It's not hard to find Armadox, just follow the trail of dead bodies....

Ogre philosophy on child-rearing: "Keep the best, eat the rest."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »

Rorschach test? I'm not sure if we could do the blots right. While I thank you for your support Armadox, I'm a little dissapointed in your lack of faith in the science of evolution.

But I know the turtle is out there, just waiting to spring out of a tiger's genes at a moments notice when conditions are right. In fact I'm pretty sure it's going to happen soon; I've been attacked by two or three tigers in the last 24 hours, and the more time they spend in the swath and out of the jungle the more likely it is that they'll evolve. Also, since I'm cleaving them up with my machete, it's giving them an incentive to grow shells. Clever, huh?

I think lockjaw turtles are ocean living, not land or freshwater living. But I guess the lockjaw tortoise could be found evolving in one of the swamps. Then again I didn't think shargles even existed, and this island seems to buck a few trends, so I'll keep a lookout for the Shartak Island Terrestrial Lockjaw Snapping Turtle.

Wumple that sucks, I'll bury some machetes for you, and bring back some shrooms if you do find them, they're a tasty treat.

edit: Add Megatron to the DFM KOS list, this is the third time I've been slain by him on the front line, he's a murderous killing machine with no respect for the work we're doing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:10:56 PM by Somaut » Logged

Wumple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 07:49:23 AM »

Hey looks like we have made it clear of the native town up north there, only taking one loss... Somaut appears to have gone AWOL. Havent seen a body or anything, so im asuming he saw a tiger and ran away screaming again.. should find his way back to us soon tho.

Our progress thus far:

Also im curious as to who is responsible for this? it would appear they have been keeping the area clear of trees by chopping everything down that comes back... Good job, whoever it is, keep up the good work. If your interested in helping us out tho, we could use more men.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 10:02:05 AM »

I've been wondering what is up out there too. There is a shaman in the swamp nearby which might account for it.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: