Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
September 21, 2017, 04:49:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Symbiotic relation between ghosts and healers  (Read 9600 times)
Keiichi

Behind paranoid eyes

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 03:41:09 PM »

Why not get like.......something where a shaman has a reduced chance to get rid of a ghost?

Earthly bonds; Reduced chances of a shaman being able to exorcise a ghost.

Or maybe something that makes a shaman spend more AP to get rid of a ghost.

The flight was heavenly
the sky my ocean
As I soared beyond the clouds
and golden voices called me home
You asked "Do you believe in love?"
and I shook my head
So, your sins unto me as I fall down
never to return from this land
My wings are clipped, my voice stilled,
Goodbye.
Skull Face

Chimay Red

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 04:27:10 PM »

Why not get like.......something where a shaman has a reduced chance to get rid of a ghost?

Earthly bonds; Reduced chances of a shaman being able to exorcise a ghost.

Or maybe something that makes a shaman spend more AP to get rid of a ghost.

Doesn't seem appropriate, as, IIRC exorcism is not automatic. There are occasions when it has to be performed multiple times to get rid of a single spirit. And I think it's 4 or 5 APs per exorcism attempt.

Keiichi

Behind paranoid eyes

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »

That's not much AP spent, seeing as spirits can be major threats. Maybe instead, spirits could take control of an animal and attack people.

That would be really cool.

The flight was heavenly
the sky my ocean
As I soared beyond the clouds
and golden voices called me home
You asked "Do you believe in love?"
and I shook my head
So, your sins unto me as I fall down
never to return from this land
My wings are clipped, my voice stilled,
Goodbye.
Wulla-mullung

"If you can't be funny, be interesting"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »

On average, it takes 4 tries to exorcies a spirit, 1AP for the 3 fails each and 4AP for the actually exorcism. So 7AP.

Wulla-mullung
the Great Magical Magician Fortune Telling Shaman Extraordinaire

ManBearPig
rar
Hassalac Chaar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 04:56:36 AM »

On average, it takes 4 tries to exorcies a spirit, 1AP for the 3 fails each and 4AP for the actually exorcism. So 7AP.
And considering being exorcised only makes a spirit waste about that much AP to get back, exorcism definitely doesn't need to be nerfed.  Quite the opposite, in my opinion.
Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 05:53:49 AM »

maby it should send them back to wherever their body is
Rob Zombie

Das Captain

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 06:33:13 AM »

If they died in the place they're haunting then that'd be pretty pointless then wouldn't it? Without a body drag skill...but lets not go there...

Captain of the Derby Privateers. Such as they are.
http://forum.shartak.com/index.php/topic,339.0.html - My finest interview in the Masthead.
AKA: Rincewind, cowardly shaman and trader,
AKA: Rozen, the smooth talking pirate. And trader.
Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 06:56:35 AM »

then how about banishing them to the deep caves under the mountain?
Kilshrek

KotIRC_C

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »

How about this? If a spirit gets exorcised, then they're sent to the 'naughty room', a maze-like place where they have to find their way out of to return to the mortal realm and get revived at the shaman.
0000FF Beard

KotIRC_C

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 10:07:25 AM »

Why not simply make exorcism more powerful?
If a ghost gets sent 50 squares away, they won't be back in at least a day, asuming they even know which direction to go.

Skull Face

Chimay Red

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »

I see a lot of anti-spirit sentiments. I don't necessarily agree with them. The spirits in Shartak are rather unique and IMO we shoud be looking for ways to improves spirit-human interaction. Yes, they are a pain. Yes, they are difficult for outsiders to deal with. Boo hoo. Exorcism doesn't need to be boosted or reined in. All that's needed is some thinking outside the box.

I have a whole stack of ideas that I'm going to throw onto the Wiki soon (consequences of working in games development for a number of years). Try this lot:

Suggestion - Haunting Ability  wailer

From POV of the deceased, wouldn't it be better if spirits were given a compass that points in the direction of the guy who killed them (in the same manner as the current Exploration / Cartography locations ability can point to where you want to go)? With this ability a spirit would be able to haunt their murderer until they were exorcised. This would be a spirit ability called Haunting.

Obviously there's an issue in that humans with Trekking move twice as fast as spirits. So there's a need for improved spirit movement. Either a new ability called Spirit Flight (0.5 AP per square moved) and/or a button that is created when Haunting is purchased and becomes active when in spirit form. For 25 APs the 'Haunt' button will teleport you to the current location of your murderer. If your last death was at the hands of an NPC (e.g. squid, shark, shaman) or by suicide then the 'Haunt' button is not active. Exorcism by a shaman cancels the Haunting compass and makes the 'Haunt' button inactive, hopefully encouraging the spirit to get a life. Revival by a shaman cancels the Haunting compass i.e. the ability does not carry over into life.

I suggest this even though my main character is a confirmed headhunter. Consider what this could do for roleplaying and gameplay. Killers would be haunted by their victims and spirits would have a reason (a slim one granted) to be in places other than the medical hut

Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007, 01:33:31 PM »

Nice idea Skull Face. Sounds excellent to me.

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Kilshrek

KotIRC_C

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2007, 02:09:15 PM »

Well, its not necessarily anti-spirit sentiment, but in the spirit of this thread suggestions have come up against spirits. If someone were to come up with a pro-spirit thread then I think you'd see a raft of suggestions to improve spirit power. Besides, an insta-kill ability for a spirit(XP gain undecided) is somewhat in favour of it, no?

Though out of curiosity, in the unlikely case that someone is killed by a spirit, would the deceased be able to follow the killer spirit as well?

But the haunt idea is great.
Skull Face

Chimay Red

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2007, 03:20:29 PM »

Fair comments kilshrek. I do have ideas for both sides of the spirit debate, including a response to Simon's quandry of some months ago i.e. how do you get natives to want to interact with outsiders

Though out of curiosity, in the unlikely case that someone is killed by a spirit, would the deceased be able to follow the killer spirit as well?

Hmmm, I'll need to think about that... I'd suggest not as the death-by-spirit could be someone taking revenge on their killer.

Rob Zombie

Das Captain

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2007, 03:50:42 PM »

Police will be annoyed. I see this skill helping PKers.
Kill a guy for being a murderer and he'll haunt you, and you can't do anything about it.

Captain of the Derby Privateers. Such as they are.
http://forum.shartak.com/index.php/topic,339.0.html - My finest interview in the Masthead.
AKA: Rincewind, cowardly shaman and trader,
AKA: Rozen, the smooth talking pirate. And trader.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: