Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
November 24, 2017, 11:15:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demystified  (Read 383 times)
error

Shartak's least valuable player.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:10:10 AM »

It would seem that two of my favorite mysteries have been solved. The Voynich Manuscript and the Polybius arcade game.

I haven't made a post in this forum in such a long time. I meant to post into the off topic part of the forum.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:11:56 AM by error » Logged

Little Bunny Foo Foo The excitable adolescent.
Last Laugh The erratic antihero.
Alcohol Poisoning The easy-going auctioneer.
mouse

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:13:40 AM »

Interesting video. I was unaware of Polybius the arcade game, and only vaguely aware of Polybius the historian. I'm much more aware of the Polybius square. My grandmother and I used to send each other cryptograms when she'd go to Florida for the winter. I've had a long standing interest in codes and cyphers, as well as invented languages and alphabets. So naturally the mysteries surrounding the Voynich manuscript grabbed my interest when I first learned of it.

I have to say, Gibbs' article in the Times Literary Supplement does little to convince me. Indeed little of it strikes me as very original. Time will tell of course, and I don't expect it will take long for other Voynich scholars to refute or verify this latest solution.

Medieval medical manual, or unsolved mystery, it's text and images will always fascinate me on an aesthetic level. Have you ever heard of the Codex Seraphinianus? It's sort of a modern coffee table version of the Voynich manuscript.
gridflay

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »

I didn't know about the Polybius thing either, that's pretty interesting. The Voynich I've actually seen in person (it was on display for an event; this was in a case, not like, I picked it up and flipped through it)- it's kept here: http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/

One of my favorite buildings. Actually, look at the wiki page for some photos. It's really beautiful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beinecke_Rare_Book_%26_Manuscript_Library

Yeah, I'll wait to hear from some other Voynich scholars, too. I've always had my money on a John Dee quasi-scam of some sort. Also hi error, post more cool things please
error

Shartak's least valuable player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »

I mean yeah, the Voynich Manuscript as a women's health guide is only a theory at this point. For some reason it makes a fair bit of sense. But if it is copied from other works and a few of these works can be found and compared to the Voynich Manuscript that would be pretty good evidence.

And this video on Plybius does give a bit of wiggle room. There is a chance, a very slight chance that the narrator, I believe his name is Brown, Steven Brown, it's credited in the video. He does say that there are a few details he doesn't quite have. That there could be more conclusive evidence. But it's a pretty solid theory.

Little Bunny Foo Foo The excitable adolescent.
Last Laugh The erratic antihero.
Alcohol Poisoning The easy-going auctioneer.
DamFrawd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »

RE: the Polybius arcade game.

I'm a gamer. It started in the back rooms and ally's behind The Arcade. Where you could peruse the pinball machines and gather to talk Asteroid strategy. During the late 70's until 1982'ish  I held most of the high scores around The Portland metro area on any pinball machine worth playing. From the Foosball parlors, to quite a few taverns in the SE part of town, I was a legend in my own mind.  If there was a Polybius arcade game. I probably played it.  I say probably, because I don't recall either way. In watching the video, the soundtrack to the game sorta sounds familiar. But that may simply be because there was only so many noises those old consoles could put forth.  I lived in Portland for 30 something years and until I read about this mysterious arcade game here, I'd never heard of it.

The video was pretty well done. I quite enjoyed it. Thanks for pointing this myth my way.

DF
gridflay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »

From the Foosball parlors, to quite a few taverns in the SE part of town...

So in my head right now all I can hear is, "From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all..."
DamFrawd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »

ha!  yep pretty much. We had a main arcade downtown Portland. It was the crossroads for us high school gamers because it was at the nexus for bus travel. You rode to downtown then transferred off to the bus that took you out to your side of town. You could make money on the pinball machines a quarter at a time. If you could rack up a few credits, People would plunk down their quarters to join in the rotation on a pinball machine. I was pocketing  a coupla dollars a day while waiting on the next bus that took me to my home. Oh I had my bad days too... but I refuse to remember those. }:)~

DF
gridflay

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:00:57 PM »

That's amazing. I can see it all in my head. I was a student at Brooklyn Tech, which was a boy's school, back in my day, and the girls from the local public high school used to go to a sort of lunch counter in the day/beer hall at night called McCabe's off DeKalb Avenue near the park. So that's where we went after school; had some pool tables and, importantly for me, dart boards. Also girls. I used to carry my own darts with replaceable flights in my back pocket. One day, I beat a British guy in a game of Cricket. Proudest day of my teenage years! Damn, DF, I think we're about the same kind of old
DamFrawd

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »

(squinting one eye at Gridflay)

Hrmmmm, The Arcade also had pool tables and was a bar at night. I also went to an all boys High School. (well.. they let girls in during my junior year. 2000 guys and 6 girls. Senior year they had a whoppin 34 girls attending.) Aside from playing pinball, fooseball, and pool, meeting girls was why I spent so much time in such places. I didn't add darts to my repertoire till my mid 20's. Had a wooden case with a crosscut part to keep my flights from being squished. Still have it in the garage I think. We just are survivors of the same era I suspect

DF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: