Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
January 22, 2018, 08:03:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this Zerging?  (Read 6963 times)
Milkchew

Who said that?

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »

A character just posted this in their profile: 

Milkchew, attack Hurricane Irene's swamp all you want. But leave the east swamp alone or I'll keep hunting. I have a ghost on you.

I was gong to mention them in my profile to send a message back, but to be honest ive forgotten how.  Im assuming by saying they have a ghost on me they mean a ghost alt. 
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 12:56:06 AM »

I think so.

Hurricane Irene just died at the hands of an enormous Haast's eagle, by coincidence. The character was accompanied by a ghost, which gave me pause.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 01:06:49 AM »

Yes.

Because in response to your very reasonable reply, he follows it with

Yeah. That the way I'm playing it. But we can do it either way, that's okay.

I hadn't planned on posting this to the forum, but I've had an issue with a zerger as well in the last few weeks, and I strongly suspect it's the same player. Gorry Louis killed his alt, Nosher Powell, just before xmas at Santa's Grotto, and this Ford Maddox Ford guy killed me some 20 minutes later whisper-swearing. Like you, Gorry wasn't being personal. He's a pirate who generally targets natives. When I tried to reason with him that zerging isn't okay in this game, he just laughed it off, and claimed PKing is worse. He kept the complete dialogue on his profile, before I gave up. I'm not interested in debating with a zerger.

What I notice as similarities is not trying to hide that he's zerging, as well as his writing style in his profiles - including this Man-Thing guy. He thinks getting cursed is the automatic punishment for zerging, but he doesn't understand or care why it's a problem. If I'm right, he has about six or so alts, which probably means multiple accounts. They all like trash-talking via profile link too.

I notice he's joined the Misfits, but I wouldn't take that, or his resemblance to Swamp Thing, all that seriously. He's not a Misfit, and he's not Swamp Thing. The two or three alts Gorry's been looking at all belong to the Necromancer's Guild, but I don't think that means they're involved either [though it took some teeth-pulling to arrive at that].

@FAD:

When I looked up Haast's Eagle for that Geocacher's invite I saw that you're having some issues with Burt Reynolds, who I strongly suspect of being one of this guy's alts.

Shroombaker says “Who was it that was looking for Dani al..la-ka-zam?
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:02:56 AM »

Man Thing is definitely a zerger, using the alts Hurricane Irene, Monsoon Abigail, Tanner86 and Gamer1255. Pretty sure this guy is also Chill TheElfWhoCannot Love and Ford Maddox Ford, which if true means on your deductions that he is also Nosher Powell. Man Thing uses the ghost revenge action to track down PKers in Derby.  Man Thing is definitely not associated with Swamp Thing (who from memory is Graagh's alt).

I'm not sure about The Dread Thespian Burt Reynolds. He seemed irritated to be PKed but I don't believe he is part of the zerg nest.

Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »

Man Thing is definitely a zerger, using the alts Hurricane Irene, Monsoon Abigail, Tanner86 and Gamer1255. Pretty sure this guy is also Chill TheElfWhoCannot Love and Ford Maddox Ford, which if true means on your deductions that he is also Nosher Powell. Man Thing uses the ghost revenge action to track down PKers in Derby.  Man Thing is definitely not associated with Swamp Thing (who from memory is Graagh's alt).

I'm not sure about The Dread Thespian Burt Reynolds. He seemed irritated to be PKed but I don't believe he is part of the zerg nest.

He's the one that ties them together. I got tipped off about a forum he ran back in 2014 where he mentioned that he uses IP blockers to bypass the limit. He could very easily have multiple accounts. His writing style is also very similar across all the profiles I suspect him of having.

So what are the options? We've posted this, should we all just go back to ignoring it? When I got zerged last xmas, I dropped feedback, but haven't heard back. I also had a less than strictly IC chat with Etherdrifter, since Ford and Nosher are in his guild, but I don't have high hopes, I went about that wrong.

I'd like this to go away somehow or other. My priority is that I don't want to create a headache for Simon or help foment forum drama. I'm well aware that since 2014ish there hasn't been much of that [apart from me coming on here drunk in November 2015 and spewing nonsense], and I'm not keen on the idea that a couple months after I come back, suddenly this happens [though it would appear that this has been happening sporadically for a couple years now]. I've created a lot of drama here, and don't want to add more. At the same time, this zerger isn't going to change his behavior because we ask him nicely not to.

What happens next?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:57:24 AM by Dani » Logged

Milkchew

Who said that?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »

I didn't want to post the second part as it kind of proved it in a way I guess.  Nice detective work though Dani, finding out who it was.....although I should imagine you just checked my profile :/

Well, glad that's the general consensus.  The happy go luck part of me thought "No no no, maybe, just maybe, he has a friend who is part of his group who operates as a ghost for him", shame its how it looks.  Oh well, im going back to doing exactly what I was doing, killing people in the swamp  Grin

I do feel bad for Matthew Fartington-Bottomley though, killed him twice in a row, but like I said to the people in the swamp, I only select outsider and click attack, none of them are in my contacts list. 
Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:32 PM »

The two or three alts Gorry's been looking at all belong to the Necromancer's Guild, but I don't think that means they're involved either [though it took some teeth-pulling to arrive at that].

I have been seeing those alts in my guild roster for some time now, and I had my eyebrows very arched at their behaviour. Thanks for this information, I'll proceed to block them from the guild now, though that's as much as I can do, given I don't really play Shartak anymore.

TBQH there's only one thing that I think should happen, and it is Simon outright deleting the accounts involved. I don't imagine it should be too difficult to do, and can't think of a reason why a player like that deserves any kind of mercy.

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »

Are these alts also of this guy?

Derek Sommersby - http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=24449
Sarah Osborne - http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=24384
doctor buzzard - http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=24312
LittleOldMe Ed Herlihy http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=24263
Doctor John Simmons http://www.shartak.com/profile.cgi?id=24149

I think doctor buzzard is not likely to be his, but maybe.

YEAH SCOUTS!

I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:31 PM »

Buzzard ganged up with Ford on a recent attack on Gorry. Someone told me Simmons is one of them. idk about the rest. The forum I got tipped on had a couple other players I didn't recognize who joined the game at the same time, so it's possible that some of these are them. Or maybe not.

This is what I hate about zerging. It's not so much the cheating, it's the paranoia it creates.

Thanks for this information, I'll proceed to block them from the guild now, though that's as much as I can do, given I don't really play Shartak anymore.

Thank you. I think ether might have gone along with it if I hadn't killed him first then demanded he do it.

Anyway, you should join this Geocachers thing, Muad, seems like it might be up your alley.

theycallhimthebandit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 10:31:05 PM »

TIGER HUNT!!!

Oh how I love the mob mentality. It's so like ... zerging? But for real.

Anyway, it was mostly me, the last few months certainly mostly me. I'm shutting down. Burtrum got his training at the feet of the MISFITS, and he's just too competitive for the island. It brings out the Kobayashi Maru in him. Possibly, having such an un-level playing field tends to make one think around corners. A cannibal at 120 HP at level 43 can kill 4 players with relative ease. I just can't see it. If not for the MISFITS early on, I'd have said screw it and gone back to HALO. Just like the other 2,000 or so players that dropped out of Shartak since I began playing. These days low level alts are nothing but soup cans. Nobody tries to get them up to speed. Except probably me! But whatever. It was fun. There are some good people here. Unless he's deleted, I'll keep burt until I can dump his gold. Either way. Good luck and G-dspeed!  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:07:40 PM by theycallhimthebandit » Logged

"THAT'S NOT YOUR CAR IS IT? I DIDN'T KNOW THEY SOLD THOSE TO MEN."
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 11:16:58 PM »

Were you Terrible Ed as well? That makes me sad.

Burtrum got his training at the feet of the MISFITS, and he's just too competitive for the island.

I'm really trying my best not to be that guy anymore, leave the past in the past, but I find it hard not to say I told you so to all the forum regulars who defended that nest of vipers even after it became clear what they were.

Unless he's deleted, I'll keep burt until I can dump his gold. Either way. Good luck and G-dspeed!

The shame of it is that if you take out the zerging you had some interesting characters, I saw at Santa's Grotto you were good at roleplaying. I'm grateful you're taking the high road. Despite what I've said in-game, I really wasn't looking forward to griefing you.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:19:55 PM by Dani » Logged

Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »

Thank you. I think ether might have gone along with it if I hadn't killed him first then demanded he do it.
Lol, you have a thing with diplomacy.

Anyway, you should join this Geocachers thing, Muad, seems like it might be up your alley.
I'll give it a look and see if it draws me back into playing.

-snip-
I have to say, it does look funny (ironic? fitting?) now that it was you who was defending the haunting skill in the other thread. What can I say, I can't agree with that "the end justifies the means" mentality.

YEAH SCOUTS!

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 01:07:03 AM »

Dude. Just play the game fairly. Idle out your zergs, and do what I do: disclose all of your characters in your profile.

Were you Terrible Ed as well? That makes me sad.

Yep. Same goes for Doctor John Simmons. I knew they were the same guy, thought they were great characters.

[[apart from me coming on here drunk in November 2015 and spewing nonsense],

Ha!

Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »

Dude. Just play the game fairly. Idle out your zergs, and do what I do: disclose all of your characters in your profile.

I decided to take that advice for myself. Well, my zergs have been idled out for four years, but the other advice. I was very wary of disclosing all my chars, but the people most likely to take advantage of that either aren't around or don't care anymore. They always seemed to figure it out anyway.

mouse

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »

Unless he's deleted, I'll keep burt until I can dump his gold. Either way. Good luck and G-dspeed!  

You're quitting shartak?! And you're Terrible Ed Rickets?! That's like 20% of the KotF.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: