Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
June 29, 2017, 02:57:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten comic book haikus  (Read 1722 times)
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2017, 02:28:19 AM »

Contest for those interested: http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com/index.php/2017/01/11/ten-famous-comics-haiku/

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »

I looked your site up recently, and was glad I did. Have you read A Chinese Life? I got it as a xmas gift and it looks quite interesting.

Shroombaker says “Who was it that was looking for Dani al..la-ka-zam?
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:41:23 AM »

I looked your site up recently, and was glad I did. Have you read A Chinese Life? I got it as a xmas gift and it looks quite interesting.

Huh. No, I've not heard of it. I'll check it out. We're really keen on reviewing Chinese comics but its very hard to get translations. I think we've only done two to date.

Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »

My favorite one so far was the person screaming about Joker's identity.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 01:18:26 AM »

Heh. Yeah. Ryan has a good sense of humour. He is a lawyer in Texas, but has self-published his own comic book called Fallen - https://www.comixology.com/Fallen-2015/digital-comic/238629 , which is quite good. He also runs a site called Gabbing Geek (more of a Facebook thing, perhaps) https://www.facebook.com/Gabbinggeek which is fun.

I also sympathise with the outrage - a notorious bait-and-switch by DC.

Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »

IT WAS THREE PEOPLE!

But we still won't give names.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:15:52 AM »

IT WAS THREE PEOPLE!

But we still won't give names.

Ridiculous. I happened to read that issue (which, as my haiku on the subject probably suggests, was otherwise some of the smelliest crap that has passed under my nose for some time) and thought it was some of the worst nonsense to come out of DC in years. Which really is saying something given DC is a creative sewer.

I grew up reading DC and love the characters, but in my view Marvel consistently out-performs DC in terms of quality (and Image outstrips them both - words I would only have written sarcastically ten years ago).

Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:16:32 AM »

Ever since Rebirth, I feel like DC is hitting it out of the park.

One of the books I was really excited to read was the Omega Men.  I got realy excited for it, saw good reviews, so I bought the TPB without reading any of it.  Worse mistake I have ever made.  That book was nothing but religious rhetoric being crammed down my throat.

Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »

The last superhero comic that I read [and liked] was probably Runaways, an Ultimates take on Power Pack.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 01:38:24 AM »

Never caught Runaways, although I heard good things. Seems like that folded the characters into that Avengers Academy concept Marvel had there for a while.

Ever since Rebirth, I feel like DC is hitting it out of the park.

One of the books I was really excited to read was the Omega Men.  I got realy excited for it, saw good reviews, so I bought the TPB without reading any of it.  Worse mistake I have ever made.  That book was nothing but religious rhetoric being crammed down my throat.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com/index.php/2015/07/10/omega-men-1-review-the-laziest-of-writing-and-editing/

Mr King has done this mostly by filling the issue with unintelligible alien words (in text vaguely resembling Japanese katakana) at a ratio of approximately one alien word to every five English words.

One of the pages, solidly filled with dialogue amongst the main antagonist and his lieutenants, should have been important to set the scene for the objective of the Omega Men’s enemies.

Instead it consists almost entirely of alien text, except for the word “viceroy” ten times, the word “Tigorr” four times, the word “Omega” once, the words “Omega Men” once, and the sentence, “The end is here.” It makes for utterly frustrating reading.

Of those English words occurring throughout the issue, the sentences “We will not hurt you” and “We are friends” are repeated as an intentional mantra throughout the issue seven times each, and the word “alpha” (as an apparent substitute for “God”) is repeated no less than twenty-five times.

The legible dialogue is otherwise scant and uninspiring. It is lazy writing.

Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 05:03:17 AM »

I'm not a big fan of non-vertigo DC. That said, the two series I tried to collect in their entirety were both DC - Legends of the Dark Knight [the best take on Batman until Nolan's trilogy imo] and Mike Grell's run of Green Arrow. I don't like GA, I don't watch the show, but this version was surprisingly solid, he tackles a lot of stuff I wasn't expecting from a mainstream superhero mag.

The single issue comic series I enjoyed the most was the 1987 Shadow series drawn by Sienkewitz and Kyle Baker. The hero was significantly more screwed up than previous versions [and more believably screwed up than Rorschach, Punisher, or similar anti-heroes],  the plot was neo-noir sci-fi but set in modern times, and the art was fantastic. Alas, it only ran about 20 issues.  

EDIT: Actually in thinking about it, most of the comic stuff that I read at the end of my collecting years was all DC. Sandman, Swamp Thing, Preacher, the ones I mentioned above, all-star Batman. It's also all stuff I'd like to read again [maybe not all-star Batman]. Whereas apart from Runaways and a few Ultimate titles, I pretty much stopped reading Marvel altogether by the 2000s, even though I started out with hundreds of marvel comics. I got really disillusioned when I noticed that a lot of the stuff they came out with in the early 90s was garbage - I think Sleepwalker was around at the same time Sandman was, but it was drek. Likewise Ghost Rider, Deathlok, War Machine etc. Bad writing, a lot of new characters that weren't very good, and lots of silly guest stars.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:12:08 AM by Dani » Logged

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 06:07:40 AM »

I really recommend Jason Aaron's current run on both "The Mighty Thor" and "The Unworthy Thor". The Mighty Thor is the other Thor's former love interest, Jane Foster. She suffers from late-stage breast cancer. Every time she picks up the hammer, usually to save someone, the magic of the hammer casts her chemotherapy out of body as a poison. So in wielding the hammer for the benefit of others, she drives herself to death. Which is why she is worthy. It is a fantastic concept in that it captures selflessness perfectly, beyond the usual altruistics of superheroes.

The Unworthy Thor, on the other hand, has the original Thor lost and behaving like an addict in withdrawal. (The reason for his unworthiness is not yet apparent.)

Never been much of a fan of the character. Just excellent writing. (Also - thought balloons! I thought that was a lost concept.)

Otherwise, "The Wicked and the Divine", "East of West", and the sinister "Deadly Class" are all brilliant comics. All published by Image Comics, which is now an innovator and creative turbine - a far cry from the bat:palm: it used to produce in the 90s.

Edit: oh, and Vertigo is pretty much a shadow of its former self, reduced to trying to revive once best-sellers like "Lucifer" and a terrible "Fables"-spin off. The only decent title it now produces is Gail Simone's "Clean Room", which is a horror take on Scientology.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:09:43 AM by FirstAmongstDaves » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: