Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
April 21, 2018, 12:45:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shartak Geocacher Club  (Read 13107 times)
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 04:01:04 AM »

Should found caches be reported on this thread? Should the protocol be to bury the cache four levels deep?

Good questions. I think they'd have to be, since you can't report them via the clan news [or not easily] and the profile thing is a pain. As to the digging protocol, up to you. In the past, I've been fond of putting junk in the top layer and good stuff further down to keep away the idly curious.

Shroombaker says “Who was it that was looking for Dani al..la-ka-zam?
mouse

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 11:16:17 PM »

Silly me, I thought for some reason this thread was just proposing the idea of a clan. But if this is where we're supposed to post caches, then...

I've created a cache!

Stuck in the ground is a makeshift sign. On the top are three skulls. The sign reads “Sunset Dunes Geocache -70.72?,+26.36? Please leave the cache more full than you found it. Thank you.”
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:34:16 PM by mouse » Logged
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »

Silly me, I thought for some reason this thread was just proposing the idea of a clan. But if this is where we're supposed to post caches, then...

I've created a cache!

Stuck in the ground is a makeshift sign. On the top are three skulls. The sign reads “Sunset Dunes Geocache -70.724,+26.369 Please leave the cache more full than you found it. Thank you.”

It was to propose the idea of a clan, but now that we've drummed up some interest, I don't see why we can't use this thread for that.

I've made a clan and invited Mouse to it. Wasn't sure which alt you're going to use, FAD [maybe Haast's Eagle?] so I left it up to you. No restrictions on membership, of course. I was wondering though if either of you know how to superimpose one image onto another one. I'm using the wikipedia symbol for geocaching, but I'd like to superimpose it on a map of Shartak.

I've also made a cache: " -70. Huh?,+26. Huh? ~ The Last Remains of Maraku Leshak ~ If You Take From Me, Put Something Back ~”

I'm still unsure if we should include the exact gps coords here on the forum page, or in the clan info, or nowhere - irl people keep their own lists of found caches a secret, right?

mouse

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 10:33:30 PM »

I'm still unsure if we should include the exact gps coords here on the forum page, or in the clan info, or nowhere - irl people keep their own lists of found caches a secret, right?
IRL the exact coords are openly known by everyone, except the public at large. Once one gets to the often quite public site, it's just a matter of figuring out how it's hidden.

If we don't give exact coords, we should at least give the first two after the decimal. Leaving off all three represents a 10002 pace area!
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 10:36:11 PM »

First two sounds good. I had thought originally that we'd use clues for people to figure it out, but that might be a little complicated.

mouse

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »

I was wondering though if either of you know how to superimpose one image onto another one. I'm using the wikipedia symbol for geocaching, but I'd like to superimpose it on a map of Shartak.

You can do that with software like Photoshop or Gimp(which is free).
Roughly...
You'd open the geocaching symbol image file,(you might need to resize the image here) use the Select tool to select the symbol then Copy it.
Then open the map file, create a new layer and Paste the symbol on it, then move it around to where you like.(in Gimp you have to "anchor" whatever you paste before you can go to the next step)
Then "Save as" or export the file and pick a file format

If that's not clear or you'd rather not mess with it, you could post links to the images you want to use and I could do it in less time than it took to explain it.  Wink
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »

This [img=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/Geocaching.svg/2000px-Geocaching.svg.png]http://image[/img] superimposed on this [img=http://www.itechsc.com/misc/shartak/ubermap/ubermap0x2.png]http://image[/img]. Thanks!

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 01:13:15 AM »

My pirate is the geocacher, for the moment, but he doesn't have GPS. I'll go get one, but for the moment, the Corsair's Cache is south-west of the Disco Volante.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
mouse

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 04:28:26 AM »

Here's a quick rendition. Anything you want to tweak?

I'm trying to attach a picture, not sure if it's gonna work
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 05:04:05 AM »

This is the clan logo?

Second cache built - "The Corsair's Booby Prize - its not as good as the other corsair's cache."

I also mentioned on the sign that it was a "Geocache Location" since its occurred to me that some people might not have a clue what is going on when they first read the signs and not know that they are supposed to upgrade the loot.

mouse

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 05:19:02 AM »

Here's another rendition with a larger red symbol all blue water and a border
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 06:28:54 AM »

I like the second one, thanks mouse!

We should make a masterlist. Make sure you hang on to your GPS coords, guys, I forgot all about mine and had to go back. I'll re-edit my OP for all the caches we've listed so far. If you wouldn't mind, we'll follow Mouse's suggestion of putting the first two numbers after the decimal for each coord.

I'll send the Admiral an invite. I like the idea of making it clear what the thing is.

I built a second cache using similar name-dropping as the first one. I'm picking natives [since I can't write outsider yet] who've been idled since 2012 or earlier. They might come back, as people do but I'm not too worried.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:44:33 AM by Dani » Logged

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 12:58:14 AM »

Now created the "Between Two Ferns" geocache, and the "Elephants' Graveyard" geocache.

Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 01:35:14 AM »

OK, I've added them to the OP masterlist. Let me know when you can get coords for them.

I've also made one: “Geocache ~ [-70.52?,+26.48?] ~ Here lies Wambayak, the Wicksicker ~ Take Something ~ Leave Something”.

Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 08:02:51 PM »

Neil Joined, buried some things in the dunes, then realized he doesn't have a GPS.

Back to square one.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: