Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
January 20, 2018, 08:34:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About Haunting  (Read 1292 times)
theycallhimthebandit

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:32:52 AM »

I'm mostly new to this forum and can't find topics I previously read. But I read someplace that some players think haunting is wrong and unfair. Haunting as applies to Shartak is beautiful and magical! An avenging spirit is not a cool thing? Not only is it cool & interesting, it's fantastic! It adds a dozen more layers to the game. I killed stitch99 and he chased me for months! Seriously -- months. I had to slip into villages, search or buy cures, disguise myself, delete my character, change my name. "I was Red_Lotus FlowerOfTheOrient" for a while! On & on it went. Cat & mouse, cat & mouse! Fun, fun. *Censored* But yeah, haunting rocks.            
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:37:06 AM by theycallhimthebandit » Logged

"THAT'S NOT YOUR CAR IS IT? I DIDN'T KNOW THEY SOLD THOSE TO MEN."
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »

Burt. Less whiskey before breakfast.

Yeah, some people don't like it. My own personal feeling is that its open to abuse but lots of aspects of the game are. I've haunted large groups of players especially around Xmas at Santa's grotto and its fun.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Animefan666

That information you do not need to know.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 03:25:41 AM »

While it does make vengeance easier, it is by no means absolute. Obstructions cause it to fail. It's useless on the mountain.

Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »

The whole spirit system is broken tbqh.

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

theycallhimthebandit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 07:34:36 PM »

The whole spirit system is broken tbqh.

How do do you mean? Maybe you're wrong and maybe it's teat parties that are broken

Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 03:44:15 AM »

It allows unilateral combat interaction between characters, with basically no drawbacks or comeuppance. Like you said, you can attack a player for months on end, and get no retribution besides exorcism, which is more a slap on the wrist than anything meaningful. As others have pointed it out, spirits should be forced to swallow a revive every once in a while, or there should be a more potent version of exorcism that does just that. Haunting just scales it up with taking you straight to your killer, and with no expiration date. This part is for realsies mind-boggling, considering the many ways there are for easily exploiting this and literally no mechanics to counter it.

Then there's the XP farm that we have in the Spirit Hut, though in the game's current state member-wise, I suppose that actually helps by gathering more people together.

I get the interesting appeal to the theme of haunting, but it has been poorly implemented. I do get a feeling you're trolling, anyway, so whatever.

YEAH SCOUTS!

I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

theycallhimthebandit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 06:30:21 AM »

I get the interesting appeal to the theme of haunting, but it has been poorly implemented. I do get a feeling you're trolling, anyway, so whatever.

Sorry if that was trolling, it was not on purpose. The teat thing just sort of gave me a chuckle. But you know, ghosts have one movement per mouse click. They have no chance of keeping up with a player with any level of mobility. And wails? You get maybe one good strike per 10 wails if the player is careless enough not to bother with a silver skull cross. Then they a strike after what, 20 wails? Natives & cannibals have skill sets that put them occasionally at huge advantage. Pirates, it seems, get the short end of the stick. But if I ever go straight on spirit, which I sure might, I still can't wander into Derby and kill 3 guys with a blowpipe and still have enough AP left to duck into the ocean. A spirit might kill one injured guy if they get in a few decent wails. But the spirit thing is fun! Running & Pking, seems damn boring. And judging by the drop in participation, it is to a lot of people. A spirit might get a player to strike you with a heavy sword, but what does it cost them? 15 AP or so? Personally, I think the system is fairly balanced, and tend to hope it stays exactly as it is.      
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:34:27 AM by theycallhimthebandit » Logged

Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 11:54:11 PM »

Walking speed and pursuing.
Sure, a living alt walks faster, but a living alt also has to do other things other than walking. At some point they will have to stop to do this or that, so eventually spirits catch up with you. This on itself is not a big problem; it becomes one when you can do it non-stop, and the living person has no way to fight back (if you are being chased by a living person, you can just kill them; conversely, you can't really pursue or attack in almost any way a spirit character).

Skull crosses.
I'm not sure if that's what you are implying, but skull crosses have no effect whatsoever on wailing, neither good or bad. They only have a (pretty good) chance of warding off possessions.

Possessions and Haunting.
No, actually the possession skills, which I also find very interesting, are super ineffective and I agree on that point. It's particularly haunting, coupled with wailing and other alts, what is unbalanced. I didn't want to have to point the tactic out, but it happens to quite a few people that they are followed (possibly silently, it's virtually impossible to tell) by a spirit they could have perhaps killed months ago? And because that spirit is always on their tail, that player manages to get other alts to kill the person being haunted.

Other, less zergy and more griefy approach some people take, is tag onto someone they don't like and wail on them (and occasionally throw inane insults at them, if that's the kind of player they are), for months on end. End of the line, what I'm trying to say is that the Spirit system as a whole is too easy to abuse, particularly but not only due to the limitless nature of both spirit life and the haunting skill.

Sorry about calling you out on trolling if you weren't. I totally thought you were being sarcastic throughout your posts.

YEAH SCOUTS!

Animefan666

That information you do not need to know.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »

Then, it's not the spirit system that's broken, but the lack of a strong anti-zerging system. If there were a harsh penalty for zerging, then it would really help deter such activities.

Swarm

Could you hold this TNT for me? Thanks.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 04:29:21 AM »

What is the percent chance to hit a single person with wailing? I recall it being 10% or 25%. I'd hope it be the latter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: