Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
April 20, 2018, 02:07:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Note taking software  (Read 2462 times)
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »

Hi guys and girls, can someone direct me to a software for note taking? Criteria doesn't need to be exact, but it should do most, if not all, of the following:

• Automated table of contents (preferably linked, wiki style)
  • Bullets and numbering with indentation
  • Easy implementation for handling, formatting, and databasing common data forms, like quotes and citations
  • Image and audio integration
  • Collapsible text sections (this is severely desired)
  • Table creation and editing
  • Floating text that follows you as you scroll, or displays text from glossary/endnotes
  • Footnotes and endnotes
  • Split screen for evaluating different sections, or referring to endnotes
  • Remembers where your car keys are at
  • Preferably a non-propriety file format

It's a long shot to ask, but I've tried everywhere, so at the end of my rope am I.
gridflay

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »

Huh. I'm an old, so I do most of my note taking on paper, with a pencil. Seriously. It sounds ancient- because it is- but it's what I'm used to, and I find that you get the most mileage out of habits you're used to, if only because you do them by default, which is what note-taking should be.

However, the kids I work with most of the time are fans of Simplenote (we're big Linux nerds, is probably part of it). I've been using it a bit myself, because it's multi-platform and I need to learn to use my fone as a work tool more (did I mention I'm an old and this feels wrong?). Plus, free.

https://simplenote.com/

It doesn't have many bells and whistles, but it does employ Markdown for bullet notes (which even I found easy to learn the basics of), and it synchs easily via email tags, which olds already know! It handles tagging really well. It also does version tracking pretty well, if you need to look over old versions. Easy web posting, and a small footprint. If it does floaty text though, I don't know about it. Splitscreens I tend to brute-force in Linux, so I don't know if its native there, either. I can tell you it doesn't handle a ton of formatting, so if you need that, it's not your thing.

Sorry. Feels like this isn't too helpful. But we're thinking of you!
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »

I can't feel any downer if I'm rock bottom Tongue

I didn't mention tags implementation, and dynamic section-collapsing based on indentation level or tags, since that would have bottlenecked things further. I'll try to expand on my rudimentary programming knowledge and see where that leads

Thanks, and the same to you Griddles.
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 11:57:51 PM »

I figured out some duct tape workarounds in Word, and if I don't start a huge new project, I'll probably just reformat all my complex-data notes. All 2,000+ of them so far.

Which makes me feel really uncomfortable, man, I'm getting a case of nerves.
Anthor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:47:35 PM »

I use Microsoft's OneNote extensively for work. Not sure if it does everything you need, and I think you need an MS Office or Office 365 license to use it... but it kicks . Especially with some of the free add-ons.

Some of my colleagues use Evernote... again I think it's not free but it's supposed to be pretty good.

For coding, I use Notepad++ which is free.

Light Rising - A Massive Multiplayer Browser Based Game set in Space - http://lightrising.com/
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »

I was planning on using onenote with python scripts, but onenote's lack of formalism doesn't suit my tastes.

If I devote enough time to coding, the eventual pay off will be replacement by an Indian, whose mother cooks great curry. A bowl of which would be my only consolation.
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »

Some of my colleagues use Evernote... again I think it's not free but it's supposed to be pretty good.

I used to use Evernote but I gave it up. Good for scanning and searching images (like business cards), but a bit crap for note-taking.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Anthor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 12:31:27 AM »

In regards to OneNote. There's a ton of free addins that may do some of what you're looking for without you having to code anything, Killy:

https://getonetastic.com/

http://www.onenotepowertoys.com/

Light Rising - A Massive Multiplayer Browser Based Game set in Space - http://lightrising.com/
Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »

This reminds me of a thing I have been doing for a few years where I keep an almanac or encyclopedia of sorts with every person I've ever met. What you describe in the OP would be handy, as I would be able to link from one person to the next, or in my diary ...log... I'd be able to throw direct mentions to "profiles", so to speak. And ooooh multimedia.

But because I have historically never been able to finish anything I start, it is sort of just a barebones thing I look and throw the odd words at when I am bored and without wifi. Not to mention it sounds psychopathic as all get out.

Considering the ways in which I would use such a platform, what I would do if I had the resources is figure out if you could keep a server up with a wiki with all your notes and files. Normal Wikipedia doesn't, but the mobile version has collapsible text! Plus you could check it everywhere.

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: