Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
April 25, 2018, 04:14:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killian Reads Fantasy, or, "The last post in this sub forum was 4 months ago"  (Read 9180 times)
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:31:22 AM »

Scholars have recently arrived to the consensus that Shartak, is in fact, in limbo for realsies this time.

In other news, I've been hanging out with fantasy cliques recently. It gets sweaty, and I'm this (_________________________________) close to LARPing, but the idea still makes me uncomfortable. Honest to god, I don't want to be puffy (from soda and fried ) by the time the Aztecs  and British Eskimos finally cross the gates.

Fantasy authors I've been reading and my impressions:

GRR Martin:
I read the first 3 GOT books and hired an Indian guy to remix books 4 & 5 into a single 400 page novel for me, since apparently the publishing left the latter two entries bloated. I'm not impressed with the blatantly readable simplicity of the prose, but that's probably what helped make the otherwise long and layered series so successful, and only idiots who don't follow the crowsd argue with success. I found GRRM's science fiction more compelling. Stuff like Tuf Voyaging and Sand Kings. It's interesting for a weirdo to read about a weirdo who whimsically self inserts, but instead of going dbag Conan, makes vast bounds on his own impotence and futility.

Patrick Rothfuss:
I hate this guy's face, his books' resemblance to the pandering Harry Potter series, his blatant self promotion, and platitudinous appeal to impressionable young fantasy readers. But yes, I've read his two Kvothe novels and will read the third. I still would prefer if he never existed, for someone much less douchey to have filled his role in fantasy lit.

Brandon Sanderson:
Jordan's Wheel of Time novels are quite terrible, and so far, Sanderson is just the antidote in the vein of extra long books reaching extra long volume numbers. Even though much of his effort is spent avoiding, revitalizing, and supplicating Tolkien and Jordan, I think he's done an honest and worthy job. I wouldn't argue that he's building anything fundamental for the genre, unless fantasy fans forget everything from the past 50 years. Authors like Tolkien, LeGuin, and Martin are the real sages, while Hobb, Cook, Williams, Jordan, and Weis are more like John the Baptists and news-spreading apostles. Sanderson is very talented and his works mean much for me, but I wish he were more willing to be original and take risks.

Mark Lawrence:
I was hoping he'd be black (skinned) and black-funny, but while stereotypically white, he is still black in a sense. The Broken Empire trilogy is dark, adventurous fantasy about Sinbad the Ali Baba, and his merry band of forty thieves, who help Sardanapalus vanquish all the satraps and murder all of Penelope's suitors and slutty maids before transforming into a giant behelit-powered Shiva tree and getting sucked into hell along with his palace, for being a bad boy. His characters are actually white instead of Aegean/Asiatic, but with the 300 franchise I can't make heads or tails about race anymore.

That's all i feel like sharing for now, I hope everyone here's doing well and better than well.
Swarm

Could you hold this TNT for me? Thanks.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »

Sometimes when all the good places are closed I eat subway at 1:00am
error

Shartak's least valuable player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »

Sometimes when all the good places are closed I eat subway at 1:00am

This is the real reason that mogwai aren't allowed to eat after midnight.

Little Bunny Foo Foo The excitable adolescent.
Last Laugh The erratic antihero.
Alcohol Poisoning The easy-going auctioneer.
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:01:16 AM »

Excellent symmetry.

At around 1 am I play LoL, or watch videos on youtube to fall asleep.

Right now im on the troll dub of the Ghost Stories anime. Its actually keeping me up much later.
Swarm

Could you hold this TNT for me? Thanks.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 05:19:46 AM »

I've been playing Super Metroid & Metroid Fusion.
Pike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »

I run a used book shop and the consensus about new fantasy here is some guy named Steven Erikson.
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 02:17:46 AM »

I've mostly been reading sci-fi. Charles Stross, John Scalzi and Iain M. Banks.

Shroombaker says “Who was it that was looking for Dani al..la-ka-zam?
gridflay

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »

Some good recommendations in this thread. I just reread Walt Miller's "A Canticle For Leibowitz" for the... seventh time?
It's... scifi and fantasy? Or neither? Dunno. I think it's brilliant. But I'm a child of the Cold War, might be it just speaks to me.

I do see there's an audio version (haven't heard it tho, can't vouch)

https://archive.org/details/ACanticleForLiebowitz
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »

Patrick Rothfuss:
I hate this guy's face, his books' resemblance to the pandering Harry Potter series, his blatant self promotion, and platitudinous appeal to impressionable young fantasy readers. But yes, I've read his two Kvothe novels and will read the third. I still would prefer if he never existed, for someone much less douchey to have filled his role in fantasy lit.

He's the Quentin Tarantino of fantasy lit, basically?

I've always wanted to read Canticle, thanks for the pointer Gridflay.

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 03:11:11 AM »

I've mostly been reading sci-fi. Charles Stross, John Scalzi and Iain M. Banks.
By any chance are you familiar with Greg Egan? I haven't actually read Stross or Banks, but from what I've heard I have a feeling if you like them you'd probably like him as well.
He has a bunch of online short stories here, I think... Riding the Crocodile is a good one to check out to start with, it's in the same universe as two other stories by him but you can read them in any order.

Pike

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 04:18:23 PM »

Greg Egan is some dry, Deep Woods science fiction that reads like a textbook sometimes. He has some great ideas though.
gridflay

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »

I love Greg Egan, but yeah, that's not hard sci-fi, that's granite! Schild's Ladder is fantastic, and Permutation City was fun too.
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »

Greg Egan is some dry, Deep Woods science fiction that reads like a textbook sometimes. He has some great ideas though.

Yeah, there's a lot of in-depth descriptions of science and math in his works. In one interview he made a comment something like "It's not my fault if readers don't read with a pencil and paper next to their bed so they can figure out what's going on".
I personally tend to skip over most of those (although I hate to admit it), and am still able to understand the story perfectly fine. Also even when not understanding it, I can still feel the sheer enthusiasm for math he exudes, which is cool.

Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 06:16:46 AM »

That sounds pretty good, actually, but not at all like Stross [funny, post-singularity stuff] or Banks [GoT meets Star Trek].

Try Blindsight by Peter Watts, which is extremely dense scifi, but still pretty likeable. He put the entire novel on his site for free.

http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 12:43:11 AM »

That's like the 3rd or 4th time I've heard Blindsight recommended, I'm definitely going to check out Peter Watts at some point. With Blindsight though I've already heard about what the aliens are like; is it still worth reading besides that? Although seeing how he actually depicts it might be interesting, I suppose.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: