Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
September 21, 2017, 06:07:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Placeholder?
Yes.
No.
Maybe so.
All of the above!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roll to Dodge!  (Read 34934 times)
Remalle

I am the God of Hellfire

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »

Hi everybody!  Roll to Dodge is a roleplaying system that's about as simple as checkers.  Or draughts, if you prefer.  Every player gets a character and one action each turn.  The GM (me) rolls a six-sided die to determine the outcome.

[1]: Epic Fail. Your efforts only worsened your situation.
[2]: Fail. Your skills or luck were insufficient.
[3]: Meager success: The situation didn't improve by as much as you have intended.
[4]: Success: Your efforts were sufficient to achieve your goal.
[5]: Epic Success: Your skills and luck have combined to ensure your success.
[6]: Overshot: Your efforts were more than required for the goal's completion, and your luck is such that unfortunate side-effects are inevitable.

And... that's about it for rules.  It's really that simple.  Let's get a game going.
The first four interested posters get to play.  After that, players get put on the wait list.  If a player dies or is unable to continue playing, the next player from the wait list gets to play.
We'll be playing something simple for the first RTD on the forum; let's say, medieval setting, players are playing knights attacking a castle.  This should be short but sweet.

Current Players:
Zeek
jaqs
Roderik
andrewbuff
Euphenics

Waitlist:
pet142

Graveyard:
Muad Dib
Cobalt Manticore
Witch Hazel
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:54:15 PM by Remalle » Logged

This person is my next target.
Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:33:39 AM »

i'm in.
jaqs
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »

Me too.
Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:28:40 PM »

Woo let me in, let me in!

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Cobalt Manticore

"Shartak = Share +/- Take! Which Do You?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »

Curious, sign me in too.

Graveyard sounds neato.

Remalle

I am the God of Hellfire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »

Excellent, we've got a full roster.  First turn upcoming, keep an eye on this post.
Cobalt Manticore, if you're really that excited about the graveyard, I'll make sure your character gets a close look Tongue

Roll to Dodge!  Castle Storm Turn One
The brave knights Zeek, jaqs, Muad Dib, and Cobalt Manticore are all standing together on a grassy hill.  Far to the south-west is Castle Shartak, where the knights' lord Count Simon resides.  To the east you can see the ocean.  Stretching from the south of you to the ocean is a great impenetrable forest.  Stretching from the north to the west are the barren wastelands the evil Baron Mask has dominion over.  Your task is to defeat the Baron and find a way to restore the land to its former glory.
As the four of you travel north-west you encounter a patrol of four goblins wearing the Aspect of the Mask!  Three of them are armed with spears and are wearing chain mail (10hp).  One has a bow and is wearing no armour (5hp).  You are each armed with a mace and a sword, and are all clad in full plate armour (25hp).
What do you do?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:16:26 PM by Remalle » Logged

Cobalt Manticore

"Shartak = Share +/- Take! Which Do You?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »

I Attack the No Armor goblin with the Mace, taking the weakest one out first and reducing their numbers rapidly, or at least attempt to.

Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »

i move in along with manticore, watching his back. i'm focusing on defense; using the sword in my strong hand to deflect any spear thrusts at either of us, & the mace in my off hand to take shots at any who try getting too close.
jaqs
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »

Watching his back? Do you mean using him as a shield??

I do the same following along maybe a step behind but I will run out from behind Manticore, chuck my mace into the middle of the three with armor aiming for one of their heads and then when they are distracted I will attack them with my sword.

Remalle

I am the God of Hellfire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »

Hey, wait a minute... jaqs, that appears to be two actions!  For shame!
I'll just take the first bit about throwing your mace, unless you want to revise your action.

jaqs
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:21 PM »

No no... it was one action... all at once Tongue
jaqs
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »

But if you insist. Ok. I throw my mace.

Hehe.

(Sorry... I think it is possible that I might die a few times before I get the hang of this game)

Maybe if I roll a critical success I can do both???
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:11:20 AM by jaqs » Logged
Remalle

I am the God of Hellfire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 04:05:09 AM »

Muad Dib, action?

(Sorry... I think it is possible that I might die a few times before I get the hang of this game)
Nah, I won't punish you too badly for screwing up.  Until you get some experience or roll like five ones in a row, of course.
Maybe if I roll a critical success I can do both???
Never!

Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »

Lol sorry I fell asleep Grin

I wait until my companions act, then I stab the more-damaged-looking goblin (of the chainmailed goblins) hoping to down it in one turn. Less goblins means less spears trying to turn us into pin cushions each turn Tongue

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Remalle

I am the God of Hellfire

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »

Turn Two
The four goblins are startled and can only yelp in surprise as the knights bear down on them.  Cobalt Manticore leads the charge flanked by Zeek and jaqs, with Muad Dib lagging behind.
Cobalt goes for the unarmoured bow goblin first and [4] hits with a good strike, dealing [2] damage!  The goblin manages to stay on its feet.
GM Note: the first roll is to to hit, following the table in the original post.  The second roll is a 10-sided die purely to determine damage.  For now both sword and mace deal just [1d10+0] damage but that might change.  I'll let you know if I change anything in an OOC GM Note like this.
Zeek backs Cobalt up, trying to counter incoming attacks.  [2] None of the goblins are stupid enough to try and take on three knights by themselves.
jaqs is on Cobalt's other flank and throws a mace at the nearest spear goblin.  [5] She hits (and gets a a +1 to damage for rolling a 5)!  The goblin takes [7+1] damage and falls to the ground (+1 to hit against it).
Muad is the last of the knights to move, looking to finish off a goblin hurt by the other three.  Aiming for the one jaqs injured, he [2+1] just barely hits it, dealing [10-1] damage!  The goblin is impaled and dies instantly.
The first spear goblin moves next, trying to take out the isolated knight, Muad.  [5] He hits dead-on!  Muad takes [3+1] damage and drops to 21hp.
The second spear goblin tries double-teaming Muad, [2] but misses.
The bow goblin backs away from the three knights and attempts to perforate Cobalt.  [3] The arrow grazes Cobalt, doing [9-1] damage.  Cobalt drops to 17hp.
It's your turns again.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: