Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
April 19, 2018, 06:45:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Shartak Rogues Gallery - G3n's interpretation of Shartak characters  (Read 5450 times)
G3N

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »

A while ago I started doing some black and white character sketches of notorious or in some way historically significant Shartak characters.  Mainly because it was a lot of fun interpreting character profiles!

I guess I just want to do this as a sort of tribute to all the quirky and colourful characters that made Shartak a fun and interesting game! A rogues gallery of sorts..

As I have been absent from the game for AGES, I have no idea whether many of these characters are still active or what they have done while I was away! Also there may have been other new historical figures or significant persons that I missed completely.

These are strictly my interpretations of characters and the world of Shartak - some profiles have almost no description, so I just had to use my imagination and potray their appearence based on their behaviour and personality - whilst trying to keep a consistent visual style. If any old character happens to log back in and is unhappy with my potrayal of them just PM me!

As well as being inhabited by outsiders, natives, pirates and canibals, Shartak is also inhabitted by Robots, Ninja, XMen, TV personalities, Elder Gods, Rockstars and Hollywood Actors and I don't know what else...
So for the sake of some kind of visual consistency, I wont be portraying characters that I can't fit into the visual style.  Sorry!

Also a note on the natives race. The outsiders are generally agreed to be colonial European or American but the race  Because the natives in game are really a lot more ambiguous - are they native American, an African tribe, a Papua New Guinea tribe or an Amazon tribe? As native players borrow elements from many different cultures I'll just do the same. So I'll just try to make native characters I draw look like they belong to the same culture and race without making them out to be a specific real-world culture. I guess borrow different elements from different cultures that have adapted to living in jungles or on islands.

I will upload four of my old images - just for the sake of keeping them in one place. I might actually redraw them (especially that Michael Edwards one  ). When I draw more I'll upload them. By all means feel free to criticise! They don't exactly take days of work to make, so changes are no problem  Any suggestions for edits or just general advice just let me know!

After some consideration I decided it would make more sense to upload the gallery to the wiki, rather than cram many images in text into a single post:
http://wiki.shartak.com/index.php/The_Shartak_Rogue%27s_Gallery

I'll use this thread for suggestions perhaps?

characters:

Pirate/Idiot: G3N

Cannibal: Master Teeth

Hired Killer: Kamikui

Shaman: Rill
Cobalt Manticore

"Shartak = Share +/- Take! Which Do You?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:35:47 PM »

Good Artses there. Smiley

jaqs
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »

Those are great!

You know.. I was actually asking Simon a while back what he thought of making some of the 'legends' into NPCs. I always thought we needed a few more NPCs wandering around.

I know! I will make a thread for it...

http://forum.shartak.com/index.php/topic,3675.0.html
Raan'dul

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »

I think you are missing the most important cannibal of all, Ruh'sil.

You attack the tiger and miss. Pausing a moment to reflect on this, tackling the tiger with your bare hands might be considered crazy!
G3N

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

I've just uploaded The Malice. If you're wondering what he's looking at in the second panel, he's watching you change. Awwwwwww yeeeeeeahhhhh.

I think you are missing the most important cannibal of all, Ruh'sil.
Although I think I'd have fun drawing your character, my aim is to draw mainly historical characters - eg characters that started a major clan, instigated a huge conflict or in someway left a mark on Shartak and its people. As such, most of the characters I draw are inactive. But I do need to get some Cannibals on the list...

It occurred to me, while looking at a list of characters I wanted to draw that there was only two female characters. OK, I know Shartak is mainly compsed of muscular men swinging their swords, thrusting their spears, polishing their rifles and generally getting all hot and bothered, which is fair enough, but I would still like to balance it out a bit. So far I have Blue Hummingbird and Mother of Armadox.

Can anyone recommend any female characters that had a role in Shartak history, or are in some way significant?

characters:

Cobalt Manticore

"Shartak = Share +/- Take! Which Do You?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »

MonaLiza? Grin

Cold Seether

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:14 AM »

About time you got back here. 

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Billfred

The Fabled Owl of York

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »

De La Coiffe.
Serious Sam
W B Hazen
SofaKing
Long Fin Killie
Petey
Gridflay
Ropata
The Bills
Sam Bellamy
Woo Elephant Yeah
Lexus /Kjendlie / Old Mac / Nighter
Daves
(Jolly Roger Gang)
lama
Ron Burgundy
czech1

erm...

Billfred - Elephant Hunter - active
Bluebeards Leg - Trader - inactive
Getsome Food - York Patriot - inactive
Hexoatl - Healer and Exorcist - inactive
pirate eater - PK'er - active

Billfred (me) - troll, bad flamer, and tired.
G3N

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »

Blue Hummingbird and Serious Sam are up.
After being used to drawing hairy tough guys in millitary costumes, Blue Hummingbird was pretty hard to draw. Condensing the history down to a few paragraphs was harder because there's literally pages of it....

I wanted to draw Serious Sam for a while. For players that don't know- he was a fantastic pantomine-like villain that really spiced up the game! I think Shartak needs another good villain. A game can get boring if there's only good guys or jokers.

If anyone sees any mistakes in the descriptions, please feel free to edit or rewrite! Also, if you would like to write a character history I haven't done yet, feel free to go ahead and I'll use it when (and if) I draw that character!

Now... How to draw Woo Elephant Yeah....  Oh my...

characters:

Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »

I think Shartak needs another good villain. A game can get boring if there's only good guys or jokers

i very much agree. that's one of the reasons it was such a bummer when armadox left, & so nice when he came back for a while.

this does raise a question i've been thinking about for a while though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:14:11 PM by Zeek » Logged
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 07:37:42 AM »

I've just read this and visited the linked page. Very very impressive.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
error

Shartak's least valuable player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »

I was reading this post, and it had me thinking about the setting and characters in this game. I always interpreted the Shartak Island as a nexus out of time, especially for the outsiders. Perhaps it's where people who became lost in the Bermuda Triangle land. Possibly it's where thousands of alternate realities combine.

The two characters that I've played as who I'm most comfortable with are Little Bunny Foo Foo and Last Laugh. Here's what I find funny. I'm not as interested in LBFF's history, he's definitely got a back story. In fact I am pretty clear on it. But it's not as well thought out as Last Laugh.

Last Laugh also has a back story. In fact, I know where Last Laugh was born, what year, when he grew up, what his life was before he came to Shartak. Of course he's supposed to suffer from amnesia, so little good the back story seems to do. On the other hand, it just keeps me interested. How do I hint at these character's past without making it obvious. Especially in the case of Last Laugh.

Little Bunny Foo Foo The excitable adolescent.
Last Laugh The erratic antihero.
Alcohol Poisoning The easy-going auctioneer.
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »

Not to plug, but I always figured Last Laugh was secretly Jack of Smiles. Not that I play that game anymore either.

Shroombaker says “Who was it that was looking for Dani al..la-ka-zam?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: