Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
April 19, 2018, 06:36:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gems Overhaul  (Read 9885 times)
Maj. Arcana

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 08:42:34 PM »

BUT, it would be interesting that if the holder of said gem was a Shaman, they could exorcise the spirit from the gem, perhaps in the same square instead of several squares away. That way, if you are being merciful, you can get your trapped spirit to a shaman (player-shaman) to undo the bonding.

Well, I was thinking about if a bunch of shamans trapped some spirits in gems and went over to a populated area, let them out, and they started shrieking. It'd be an effective weapon, especially if the spirits didn't get an AP hit for the shaman moving (or possibly a smaller combined hit, like 1.5 AP)

I'm not going anywhere now, and neither is my army of zergs!
andrewbuff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

Since you already know there are no pumpkins on Midway, then plant some there or bring plenty with you. This is basic game mechanics here.
my adding midway was more of telling the good witch my location, since she asked, so she could 'talk' things out about ghosties.

woodrow guthrie: a derby folk singer. out to map the entire island and bag some exotic game.
fluffhead: a york fellow who is helping operate the derby training facility. are you dtf?
Fester Shinetop

Sipping on gin and Mango juice.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »

I HOPE you're not looking to exorcise the demonic ghost of Neil Tathers.. He hates that.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 03:39:16 AM »

I think this idea is brilliant.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »

I HOPE you're not looking to exorcise the demonic ghost of Neil Tathers.. He hates that.

I accidently respawned.

I'm off trying to kill myself AGAIN.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 04:20:46 AM »

BUT, it would be interesting that if the holder of said gem was a Shaman, they could exorcise the spirit from the gem, perhaps in the same square instead of several squares away. That way, if you are being merciful, you can get your trapped spirit to a shaman (player-shaman) to undo the bonding.

Well, I was thinking about if a bunch of shamans trapped some spirits in gems and went over to a populated area, let them out, and they started shrieking. It'd be an effective weapon, especially if the spirits didn't get an AP hit for the shaman moving (or possibly a smaller combined hit, like 1.5 AP)

Just revisiting this. This would work well because the ghost has the choice of respawning. The character isn't trapped in the gem as a ghost unless he wants to be. But if he wants to remain a ghost, then he's in the gem until released.

Makes very sneaky multiple ghost attacks possible, too.

Black Rum

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »

I was halfway through reading the whole thread before I realised that this was a year old. The problems in there are still present. Gold and gems are worthless and the interactions between spirits and living players are still heavily limited. Why did nobody ever act on this?

Name's Black Rum this here's my buddy Smarties. We're mostly hanging around the Misfit and campfires. Come and drink with us we'll get along nicely. That is as long as you're not French. 'Curse the French! Bwaa!' Damn straight little buddy.

I'm also Benoit Camenzind.
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »

The gold sink problem has always been a problem, though it's in a better state than gems since at least gold doesnt take up inventory space. On the other hand, I suspect the original intention of gems was that they were just there for decoration so they aren't supposed to have a function beyond that.

Still, I think it'd be interesting if you could use gems as construction material to pave roads, using FAD's prospector idea to dig for them. That would make it sufficiently difficult and time-consuming to build a road that would be safe from vandals, so not many people would do them (thus ensuring the whole jungle doesnt get paved over) but those that did it would have a niche trade to fall back on.  They'd be in demand for village clans who wanted quick access to other villages - mind you we already have that with the SS gates.

As per spirits...well I personally hate the spirit aspect of this game, and the people who play spirits as their main seem to like it as is.

Shroombaker says “Who was it that was looking for Dani al..la-ka-zam?
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 05:45:22 AM »

I was halfway through reading the whole thread before I realised that this was a year old. The problems in there are still present. Gold and gems are worthless and the interactions between spirits and living players are still heavily limited. Why did nobody ever act on this?

I find gold personally very handy as it means I can buy supplies quickly in hostile territory and get out of Dodge pronto, rather than search a supply hut.

But gems are a bit of a wasted thing, one up from crabs. Being able to trap spirits in gems gives them a purpose... and is kind of cool.

Etherdrifter

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 10:14:27 PM »

Shaman skill + gem in inventory = super effect.

Clicking a gem turns it into an active gem.  Once a gem is active it is automatically used till it is used up.

Exorcism : Double range of cast out, uses the gem up 50% of the time.
Spirit Summon : Double range of summon, uses the gem up 25% of the time.
Malevolence : Spirits wail twice, uses the gem up 50% of the time.
Seance (so villagers can get in on the action) : Names of spirits are revealed to all players on the tile, uses the gem up 10% of the time.

Optional Extra : Gems can be used to trap a spirit's wail and broken for 1ap to release that wail.  Costs 1ap and requires a spirit around to capture a wail (maybe can only be done after a seance).

Pro Bono Collagium

Quote of the week

"There will be no miracle"

Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 11:54:55 PM »

I really like Ether's ideas, but somehow I feel there should be also some other thing non-spiritual classes could do with gems, since Shamans are already the class with the most variety of skills, with the exception of, maybe, scientists. Specially character classes like the scout should get some new artifact or ability of some sort, IMHO Roll Eyes

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2014, 09:06:05 AM »

Anyone should be able to use a gem to trap a spirit.

Perhaps the gem shatters after 48 hours as a little tweak to the suggestion, thereby releasing the spirit which has not respawned.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: