Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
January 23, 2018, 10:17:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gems Overhaul  (Read 9119 times)
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 03:31:31 AM »

A gem-studded club sounds weird, sorry.

A gem-studded crown makes more sense, but a crown has only ornamental use... unless, thinking out loud, you can only get the clan leadership skill if you have made and possess a crown with say ten gems? That would give them a purpose.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 07:37:42 AM »

The club wouldn't be studded with gems, it would be with stones. Although one studded with gems seems fitting for a monarch or something.

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Maj. Arcana

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 07:48:07 AM »

I was thinking of the sergeant of arms in a few commonwealth countries. They carry royal clubs but they're just for show.

In shartak terms they might be the sort of things favored by King's (or Empresses) Champions.

But given the rarity of monarchs in this game, I'm not seeing the possibilities.

I'm not going anywhere now, and neither is my army of zergs!
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »

Ah, maces. There is one in our State Parliament, a few bliocks from me now...

Maj. Arcana

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 09:23:30 AM »

Well, yes. But yours was seized by transported criminals. I meant more respectable commonwealths.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »

Not mine. Those people on the other side of the continent with the nasal accents who my state is unfortunately in federation with, yes, definitely.

This idea of a ceremonial mace has merit. Wooden club plus ten gems? Would be nice if each could be given a name: "Warlord of Raktam" is obviously what would appeal to me, but "Speaker of the Durham Parliament", "Champion of York" etc.

andrewbuff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »

heres a gem idea i just had; someone with all the supernatural skills get the option to 'trap' part of a spirit in a gem, when the person with the gem moves, it forces the spirit to travel with them. fluffhead to a visit to midway and thought it would be cool to have a buddy comedy type adventure with a spirit. it would certainly make it easier to travel together, since doing basically anything as a spirit is a hassle. have a button like emergency heal or parrot tame, clicking the gem would release the spirit. a spirit can get away at any time, they just gotta revive.

woodrow guthrie: a derby folk singer. out to map the entire island and bag some exotic game.
fluffhead: a york fellow who is helping operate the derby training facility. are you dtf?
Witch Hazel

Honey, been there, done that.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 01:53:41 AM »

basically anything as a spirit is a hassle. a spirit can get away at any time, they just gotta revive.

Many think like you do that being a spirit is a hassle which makes it a bit harder for them to appreciate the fine art of being a spirit. I love being just a spirit and only a spirit.  Your idea would force me to revive against my will just to get away after being trapped. It might have sounded good at the time you posted this idea but we career spirits wouldn't like it at all.  Cry

So, where are you standing so I can sing to you a bit about the finer art of spirithood?

The Great Wraith of the NG - Witch Hazel
MUCK the road clearer extraordinaire!
andrewbuff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 02:08:59 AM »

thats just the point. me, playing a living player, is forced to do things i dont wanna do all the time. my home shaman is killed, so im forced to respawn at the roamer. i dont like it, but i have to do what i have to do to keep playing. im, as i said in my post, on midway. no pumpkins around either.

woodrow guthrie: a derby folk singer. out to map the entire island and bag some exotic game.
fluffhead: a york fellow who is helping operate the derby training facility. are you dtf?
Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »

I'd hug you, andrewbuff, but I'll keep to a more neutral way of appreciation because I'm... malnourished, yes, and my bones may break.
* Muad'Dib nods in approval.

YEAH SCOUTS!

I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Raffles

Swords 'n' silks

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »

A spirit once broke my Heavy Sword. I agree with 'buff's revenge suggestion.

Maj. Arcana

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »

The idea seems to connect my old Wild Spirits suggestion with the old slavery / caravan ideas. Per this thread it actually gives gems an innovative purpose rather than simple decorations. As to being unfair to spirits, I think it's no small thing that the player who heads the newly reformed Necromancers Guild approves of the idea as well.

I nominate Fluff's suggestion for the feature voting page.

Katie Calhoun

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »

thats just the point. me, playing a living player, is forced to do things i dont wanna do all the time. my home shaman is killed, so im forced to respawn at the roamer. i dont like it, but i have to do what i have to do to keep playing. im, as i said in my post, on midway. no pumpkins around either.

Being forced as a spirit to become alive is completely different from being a spirit and wanting to be alive though you might not get the shaman of your choice. You still have the choice to be alive or not. What you are wanting is to take this choice away from anyone who is playing a spirit. Since you already know there are no pumpkins on Midway, then plant some there or bring plenty with you. This is basic game mechanics here.

Katie Calhoun-Bartender 
Blaktoof says “You permit yourselves to be lead at the nose by some toothless juggalo teen-grandma whose hobby is running an imagniary bar.     
A parrot squawks "I know where the heavy sword is. Follow me!" (2011-01-22 19:54)
A parrot squawks "Katie has a big fat butt" (2012-02-10 17:06)
Maj. Arcana

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »

It also gives viable consequences to spirits. Shamans and pumpkins can push a spirit a few tiles off, but it's nowhere near the AP drain of getting killed. As Iceman frequently pointed out, adding consequences for ones actions is in short supply on Shartak.

More importantly though, it's not simply a punitive measure against spirits - as fluff pointed out, it's more about making group travel easier. I could understand the objections if the gem merely trapped the spirit inside and then the casting player buggered off without it (like selling a conch shell), but this actually makes for more innovative gameplay between spirits/living chars.

Question though: could someone using a pumpkin in the same square (or another shaman exorcising) release the spirit?

Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »

I think that being forced as a spirit to become alive again is akin to being alive and being forced to become a spirit (that is, dying), so I'm completely OK with this idea. Besides, it's kind of unfair that the best kill/death ratio in the island is currently held by spirit players. Kind of unfair for those who do the real player-killing at the risk of actually dying.

Maybe they shouldn't be subject to exorcisms or pumpkins; while they are in the gems they should get some kind of protection. They can't wail, anyway. BUT, it would be interesting that if the holder of said gem was a Shaman, they could exorcise the spirit from the gem, perhaps in the same square instead of several squares away. That way, if you are being merciful, you can get your trapped spirit to a shaman (player-shaman) to undo the bonding.

YEAH SCOUTS!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: