Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
November 23, 2017, 01:41:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Durham elections  (Read 15272 times)
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2008, 05:50:30 AM »

New elections have been called in Durham.

Hideo Inakajimita is running on four key platforms:

1. free and open access to Durham by all people, including pirates and natives;

2. the complete demilitarisation of Durham

3. subjugation of Durham as a vassal state to its rightful owners, the people of Dalpok

4. free rum for everyone, supplied by the Government of Durham.

Hideo has no doubt this will have broad appeal to all members of the Durham population. More policy detail will be available shortly.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
BLooDCLotT

ESHC Founder,KotIRC_C visitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »

Im Nominating Myself as Governor of Durham.

I will also agree with

I will not Stand for

3. subjugation of Durham as a vassal state to its rightful owners, the people of Dalpok
I will not stand for

The free rum is silly,But the government will Supply visitors to its office with free supplies based on there class.

The entire peninsula would become a hunting reserve to bring in tourism,boasting our wonderful Lake Lotus and Lotus Field as Shartaks Premier Rhino hunting Ground.Our Beaches lay ladened with turtles,and out jungle overflows with animals.

We would also keep the Trader in Constant supply of Medical supplies and ammo.

Also as Governor, I plan on Opening a State Sponsored School teaching the citizens or travelers medical and fighting skills,along with swim classes,fitness classes,map reading and making,and Spirit classes.

Ghosts will be allowed in this school as well.
More ideas of things i,the leader of ESHC can do with my teams support

HEY LOOK--- I know where you Are!
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »

New elections have been called in Durham.
What exactly are the parameters for running/voting? I belive it's something along the lines of "whoever Ron Burgundy says is a citizen can vote/run"? Xeron would like to apply for Durham citizenship.

4. free rum for everyone, supplied by the Government of Durham.
1. AlexanderRM would support this.
2. AlexanderRM and Bloodthirsty Psycho would support this.
3. AlexanderRM would support this. Bloodthirsty Psycho would support this on the condition that it takes note of the fact that Dalpok is part of Pirate territory.
4. Bloodthirsty Psycho would support this.

Curses, I wish one/both my characters could vote.  Sad

Euphenics

καλλίστῃ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »

I began developing parametres a few days ago, but a real life incident required my attention and I did not complete them.

Some details must be established immediately. All voters, candidates, and election details must be registered before 0:05 (Shartak server time) Monday, August 25th. Advertising your campaign outside and/or inside the Governor's Mansion and/or Durham Utility Bank is grounds for disqualification. Advertising an opponent in an attempt to disqualify them is to be considered an even greater offence. The election will occur between 0:05 September 19th and 0:05 September 22nd at the shaman. After 0:05 August 25th candidates will discuss their platforms on the forum and debate live in game for three hours on August 30th, September 6th, & 13th at Durham Utility Bank.

If more than two candidates register, the election will use a priority ballot. A condition of registering to vote is that you must demonstrate an understanding of how to vote using a priority ballot. You must first indicate your most prefered candidate of the registered candidates. Then you must indicate regressively prefered candidates until only one candidate remains or you consider your vote worth nulling if your previous selections are eliminated. You may not vote for 'anyone but that candidate' since that indicates no preference between the remaining candidates.

Ron Burgundy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

Thats a nice idea but we are going to do things my way seeing as I am the governor. The primary ballot is too confusing we are going to go by the old standard which is whoever gets the most votes wins. The election time itself has yet too be determined I and the rest of the candidates will have a discussion about that.

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:46:22 PM »

Some details must be established immediately. All voters, candidates, and election details must be registered before 0:05 (Shartak server time) Monday, August 25th.
Xeron would like to register as a candidate, his platform includes:
1. Promoting Illithid superiority.
2. Using Durham as a base to set up an island-wide restaurant chain.
3. Dominating the lesser races
4. Setting up a Kraken force to act as a super-powerful aquatic strike team in the name of Durham and New Penumbra.

As you may know, he refuses to compromise his values to gain public support in the election.

Also, AlexanderRM and Bloodthirsty Psycho would like to register to vote.

Thats a nice idea but we are going to do things my way seeing as I am the governor.
Wait, uh, doesn't having the current holder of the position being chosen determine how the election is done kinda... defeat the purpose, I suppose? Do you know the term "Jerrymanding"? That's an example of why you shouldn't let someone determine how their office is determined...

Ron Burgundy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:53:42 PM »

Alexander when I was elected governor the people entrusted me with the responsibility of running the government which includes the election and I do know what gerrymandering means but that is impossible to do in this game. Also your other characters are ineligible for citizenship because Alexander is a Durham pker and Bloodthirsty physco is a member of another government organization. Plus I don't want the election to be zerged, I'm making an executive decision and ruling that only one alt may have citizenship.

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 12:16:37 AM »

Alexander when I was elected governor the people entrusted me with the responsibility of running the government which includes the election and I do know what gerrymandering means but that is impossible to do in this game.
It was an example. Obviously you... hey wait, why the heck am I arguing about this? The ability to abuse the system is exactly what Xeron will need to fulfill his campaign promises.
In short, why explain when I could (hopefully) show you?

Also your other characters are ineligible for citizenship because Alexander is a Durham pker and Bloodthirsty physco is a member of another government organization.
Where the heck to you get the idea that AlexanderRM is a Durham PKer? He's just a random Native who happened to kill one Durhamite who knows how long ago, most likely because that person happened to be a homicidal maniac who kills Natives simply for being Natives.

Plus I don't want the election to be zerged, I'm making an executive decision and ruling that only one alt may have citizenship.
Meh, in this case, I honestly have to say that I agree with you from an objective perspective.
Oh, wait- but using multiple characters for RP purposes doesn't count as zerging, remember?

So, uh, anyway... is it just me, or did I not see you saying in there that Xeron couldn't run?

Ron Burgundy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 12:21:06 AM »

Alexander is Durham pker because you killed the Durham Trader and Durham Shaman. Also Xeron can run but I'm sticking to my original decision to only give one alt citizenship I don't want the election zerged and if i gave the other alts citizenship it would set a dangerous precident. I have sent Xeron a citizenship invite if he doesn;t get it let me know.

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:47:25 AM »

Alexander is Durham pker because you killed the Durham Trader and Durham Shaman.
So? People do that all the time. Killing random NPCs who respawn in a few hours to get stats is a lot different than killing player with feelings who are actually inconvenienced by being killed for... reasons I will not speculate on.

I have sent Xeron a citizenship invite if he doesn;t get it let me know.
Oh, slightly off-topic, how do you do that? I've been thinking of disbanding XahF to found it again as Illithid Empire or New Penumbra or something, but I don't want to lose my current members... and I could never find a button to invite people.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:53:44 AM by AlexanderRM » Logged

Euphenics

καλλίστῃ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:52:09 AM »

I am merely presenting a reasonable suggestion. Part of politics is listening to people outside the government. If a schedule isn't established now, when will it? I have given you nearly two months to work with; probably more than enough time for even you. If you care to waste it squabbling over minute improvements in timing, that is fine, but you shouldn't expect conditions to turn in your favour if you cannot achieve a consensus by 0:05 August 25th.

Priority ballots are not as confusing as they first appear. If only two candidates register, they are redundant. If a voter decides to null any further priorities, an ordinary vote is cast. If a majority is achieved in the first count, an ordinary election is won. Priority ballots smooth things over when none of these represent the situation.

Ron Burgundy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 02:05:19 AM »

We aren't using primary ballots, and Alexander log in as Xeron and go to your clan page, click on view membership and the invite option should be at the bottom of the page.

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 02:50:12 AM »

Oh, uh, also, is mind control (RP, not actual mind control) considered to be "advertising our campaign"? I don't really think so, but then again...

Cavendish

KotIRC_C

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 07:25:51 AM »

Yay, it's that time of year!
* Cavendish sits with a box of popcorn, watching Euphenics and Ron battle it out

"Cats used to be worshipped as Gods. They haven´t forgotten it."
---Pratchett
Euphenics

καλλίστῃ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 11:11:16 PM »

It's a nice idea Euphenics but if you had bothered to look there is a thread for this already on the Durham board. Also I haven't decided on the date to end registration so that will need to be removed.
First, this is the thread you should have posted in. Please remove this from the registration threads.

Second, I did look at your forum; I was locked out. I imagine that others are locked out as well. Also, you haven't clarified and are probably unable to clarify to everyone on this forum where yours is and that they are able register there. Supporting ignorance is not very sporting.

Third, if you can reach a date of consensus before August 25th, I will be more than accommodating. Otherwise, I will continue with this schedule to ensure that Durham's interests are expressed in a timely manner. If you are doing this to be contrary, please stop; work on your campaign like a decent person.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: