Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
September 21, 2017, 05:02:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Contest] The Amazingly Great Shartak Race  (Read 18626 times)
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:40:38 PM »

Inspired by the Great Raktam Race and the TV Amazing Race, I will be organising the first Amazingly Great Shartak Race.

The race will begin on March the 1st 2008 at 2008-03-01 00:01 server time.

Signup is from now until March the 1st.  PM me, post here, or post on the previous discussion thread (c.v. below).

Prizes are fame, and gold.

Duration is expected to be less than one month.

Rules
1. One character per player please.  PM me, post here, or post on the previous discussion thread

2. The great race is itself a series of smaller races.  Points will be awarded to the first five contestants arriving at each 'checkpoint'.  The results of each smaller race will help determine the ultimate winner.

3. There will be a prize pool of 20gp per contestant (max 500gp) that will be awarded to the three contestants who score the most points.  There may be a secondary prize pool for all who take part and complete the race.

4. Contestants should be prepared to:
* Have their character be publically identified as contestants.
* Provide a short biography for the contestant list.
* Visit Native, Outsider and Pirate settlements.
* Travel across substantial distances of jungle.
* Swim across distances of deep water (with sharks).
* Participate in challenges featuring the hunting of wild animals ("On your way to XXX, you must hunt and kill at least two parrots.  Your parrot kill counts as of the moment are lama: 0, ziggy: 20 ...") and the collection of fruit ("Collect 4 poison berries on your way to XXX which you must give to YYY on arrival").

5. The following is allowed:
* Any level of character. Any type of character.
* Using a home shaman to jump across the island.
* XP to AP.

Contestants
The contestants list is as below.  It will be updated as contestants join the race.

1. lama
2. oktavius - A peaceful and low-key individual, oktavius is an explorer at heart. His main claim to fame has been the mapping of every reachable area on and around the island. Now he spends his time hunting and taking part in non-violent competitions. He was third in the Derby Ranger's Killathon and aims to do better in the Amazingly Great Shartak Race.
3. Sofaking - SofaKing, Bear Warrior of the Mountain and heir to the throne of Raktam, splits his time between protecting the Mountain's sacred slopes and helping the Regency maintain order in his home village. He runs the race for the glory of all Raktam and as penance to the Skygods, who he believes is punishing Raktam by spiriting away the Queen.
4. Maximillion Pike - He has been around the island for quite some time. Spent the better part of it excavating charms from various ruins. Slayer of the first giant squid was his only noteworthy achievement until he convinced a group of natives that he was a god reincarnated from belly of an elephant.
5. Jesus - esus was born in a dishevelled hut during the cold months. He grew up in Wiksik and his life, he was well known as one of the best driftwood entrepreneurs, seemed perfectly normal until he reached the age of 33 years. Then, one day he saw an outsider. It wasn't certainly the first alien he met, but this time it was different: How beautiful his head was! The handle of his machete started to itch in his hand and he couldn't turn his eyes away from the cranial features of this other man. From this moment of enligthenment on, he knew what to do...
6. Necro winston
7. This could be you!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:56:06 AM by Johan Crichton » Logged

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
oktavius

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:35:45 PM »

I would like to sign up for the race. A few questions though:

Why do you ask the participants to post in the other thread? Having two threads about the race in two different boards is confusing. Also, this thread should be stickied.

About the race itself, where will the starting point be? Are we going to know the sequence of checkpoints before the race starts? Or are you going to reveal the next checkpoint right before we depart from the previous one?

oktavius Explorer and race competitor.
eptavian President of the Independent Republic of Fort Creedy
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:33:38 PM »

Why do you ask the participants to post in the other thread? Having two threads about the race in two different boards is confusing.

Sorry for the confusion - initially I planned to use this as an otherwise locked announcement thread, but that idea's not going to work.  PM me, post here, or post on the old thread is designed to catch as many contestants as possible.

About the race itself, where will the starting point be? Are we going to know the sequence of checkpoints before the race starts? Or are you going to reveal the next checkpoint right before we depart from the previous one?

To avoid griefers and other possible annoyances:
* The starting point will be announced to contestants this weekend, or on registration.
* The sequence will be unveiled as the race progresses.
* The checkpoints will be announced at the beginning of each leg.  E.g. "You're starting here in Derby, from here you must race to Midway Island, saying hello to XXXX and from there travelling to Raktam to meet XXXX at the Trader's Hut.  En route to Raktam you must ..."

Johan Crichton
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »

Count Tom Failur in. id- 1327

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:43:27 AM »

Count Tom Failur in. id- 1327

Counted

We now have four contestants - who will be our fifth?

Johan Crichton
Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »

I just realised unless this race lasts less than a week I'm unlikely to win so I'm pulling out. Sorry to do so but I'm going skiing on the 8th and almost definitely won't have access to a computer.

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Pike

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »

Maximillion Pike is up for this. ID=730.
Pike

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »

I just realised unless this race lasts less than a week I'm unlikely to win so I'm pulling out. Sorry to do so but I'm going skiing on the 8th and almost definitely won't have access to a computer.
You know you're doing something right when your leisure activities get in the way of your leisure activities.
CJ

be-head!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »

Rlly less than a week? then I am in!

Excessive cognitive demands cause defensive reactions

Jesus
Crowjane

Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 03:23:09 AM »

Rlly less than a week? then I am in!

More likely less than a fortnight, more than a week, unless I've misjudged the time it will take for each leg.

Johan Crichton
CJ

be-head!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 05:07:08 AM »

less than a fortnight? then I am in!

Excessive cognitive demands cause defensive reactions

Jesus
Crowjane

Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »

We have our fifth contestant - Jesus.

If you were thinking of entering the race, and have not yet signed up, the days are ticking away - the race begins in just over three days time on March the 1st (server time).

The race will begin from a secret location somewhere in the central part of the Island.  If you want to be a late signup to the race, you may want to review your current location and make sure you can reach the central part of the Island over the next day or two.

Johan Crichton
edwardel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 10:01:46 PM »

Can I please sign my native up for it? Necro winston.  id=10167

Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 12:57:09 AM »

The race will begin in just over 23 hours at 2008-03-01 00:01 server time.

Details on the first leg will be communicated in game by a race official to the contestants who have gathered at the starting location.

Thanks to all those taking part!

Johan Crichton
Blahmicho

Have you Loved?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 07:00:52 AM »

Blahmicho had previously expressed interest, but unfortunately can't join.

Good luck to all of you though

Quote from: Armadox_the_Butcher
I have abducted you into the numbers of the Scavengers as an official Scavenger by proxy. There now that your a Scavenger I don't have to kill you.....someone else will do it for me

My Character?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: