Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
September 19, 2017, 07:47:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Server move - 10pm (UK) 9th Jan 2014  (Read 3699 times)
Simon
Shartak Developer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »

I've been informed by Shartak's server hosting provider that they are moving servers to a new datacentre and our server will be moved during a window from 23:00 UK time on 2014-01-09 and 06:00 UK time on 2014-01-10.

This means that the game, forum and wiki will be unavailable during this period.
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »

RUN FOR THE HILLS!  THE WORLD IS ENDING!

error

Shartak's least valuable player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »

that could make things slightly inconvenient.

Little Bunny Foo Foo The excitable adolescent.
Last Laugh The erratic antihero.
Alcohol Poisoning The easy-going auctioneer.
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:21:56 AM »

I was about to suggest making it a precise 24 hours and that AP regen be turned off for that time, but then realized I was thinking of nation simulators where it can be important not to accidentally give people with certain schedules/timezones an advantage over others they're at war with, and it doesn't really matter if you give even a full day's advantage to some people. Will be mildly inconvenient but eh.
(oh, will there be an "is unavailable" message or problem loading page? Because I'll probably forget about this and just hit refresh a zillion times if the latter)

Simon
Shartak Developer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 01:35:56 AM »

It will simply timeout during the outage. It's likely that the outage will last a lot less than the full time.

Don't forget there's the Shartak Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Shartak and the IRC channel irc://irc.efnet.org/Shartak - these will be unaffected
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:38:49 AM by Simon » Logged
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:42:37 AM »

I've been hanging around with some pleasantly husky fellows at a comic book store, so i guess this is finally my excuse to try out DnD, WH4k, and MtG, for the first times in my life. The day that i first show signs like not shaving, bringing geek reading material, etc, to work, is the day I'll quit.

Though a comic book store is the hangout, i think i may have grown out of comics/GN and manga, to my dismay. My sister (I don't think I've mentioned her before) was trying to get me into Fable (publisher: Vertigo, i think) but I wasn't hooked. Neither has anything else for years. Comics and other visual story gems aren't bad by any means.

So yeah, see you guys after the server reboots.
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:16:53 AM »

I've been hanging around with some pleasantly husky fellows at a comic book store, so i guess this is finally my excuse to try out DnD, WH4k, and MtG, for the first times in my life. The day that i first show signs like not shaving, bringing geek reading material, etc, to work, is the day I'll quit.

Though a comic book store is the hangout, i think i may have grown out of comics/GN and manga, to my dismay. My sister (I don't think I've mentioned her before) was trying to get me into Fable (publisher: Vertigo, i think) but I wasn't hooked. Neither has anything else for years. Comics and other visual story gems aren't bad by any means.

You're not going to give Neil Gaiman's new Sandman title a shot?

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
error

Shartak's least valuable player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 04:51:54 AM »

Fable (publisher: Vertigo, i think)

Fables! Can't read stand that one. I've never been a big fan of comics. I can't get into a serial story line, I don't have the patience for it as a rule. But every now and again I'll find something worth my attention. Fables was one that I tried. But I have a bad habit of researching the creators, writers and artists of the work I consume. And Bill Willingham is not a man who's belief's and politics I can respect. To be fair, I dislike things that Orson Scott Card has said, and yet I can still read and ever recommend Ender's Game, because Card's politics seemed to have very little impact on that stories plot or narrative.

But Willingham's views can be recognized in Fables. I found it distracting and a little bit pretentious.

Little Bunny Foo Foo The excitable adolescent.
Last Laugh The erratic antihero.
Alcohol Poisoning The easy-going auctioneer.
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »

How so?

I always found his writing to be extremely enjoyable.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 03:42:42 AM »

I struggled with the first tpb of Fables and never got into it as a consequence. It wasn't heavily nuanced: I got the impression it was written for a young audience.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »

The first volume is the toughest, but quickly it became and epic.

I think the idea of introducing all the characters in the midst of a murder mystery was interesting, but hard to achieve. 

The second volume deals with a Animal Farm sort of scenario introducing the farm, and then it quickly pans out and starts to delve into the characters more than the setting, and playing off of relantionships.  With it actually ending with issue 150, that's exciting.

Akbar

It mushed have been something I ate.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »

You're not going to give Neil Gaiman's new Sandman title a shot?
I was unaware of the new series until I saw this. I'm a huge fan and have every single issue of his first run.

I picked up the first issue of the new series the other day. I was surprised to see the Corinthian. I didn't pick up the original series until the Doll House "Serial Killer Convention" arc so it was nice to see him again. Good Stuff!

It had been a while since I visited my LCS. It was a little shocking to see how busy they were.
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 08:02:20 AM »

Table top games are fun, and a good balance for electronic gaming. I'm nothing as ridiculous as an Ender Wiggins, who isn't much more than a template, but I get by.

Also, I'm going to look more into Fables, Sandman, and other series.
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »

Table top games are fun, and a good balance for electronic gaming. I'm nothing as ridiculous as an Ender Wiggins, who isn't much more than a template, but I get by.

Also, I'm going to look more into Fables, Sandman, and other series.

I suggest Y: The Last Man if you haven't checked it out yet.  Fully completed, and a story I'd think you like.

Timothy Trust

Bored Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »

Is the server issue resolved as of now? I can't connect to Shartak.com through my home IP. The only way I can connect is through using my phone as a hotspot, or using a VPN service. Is my IP blocked or something? Huh?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: