Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
September 21, 2017, 05:02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A clever defensive tactic  (Read 4732 times)
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:06 AM »

Anaalpunktio has been raiding York and killed Ibn al Xuffasch more than once, so I thought I'd direct the normally peaceful Arab hunter to kill this murderous cannibal for the good of York's citzenry.

Anaalpunktio was hiding north-west of York, in wildfire. Everytime Ibn shot at Anaalpunktio, Ibn would sometimes hit, sometimes not, but the wildfire would ravage Ibn for 5HP damage. 13 FAKs and many bullets later, Ibn died of his burns: Anaalpunktio sits in wildfire on 8HP.

The wildfire effectively acted as a defensive shield for an inert player. Its a neat trick for mitigating the risk of being killed, at a small cost of 5HP in burns. Its hardly fair though: it means anyone can hide in wildfire and be almost impervious to attack.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
andrewbuff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:45:49 AM »

maybe alter it so the player gets burned periodically if standing on a fire tile. add a skill "firewalking" to lengthen the amount of time between burns? player loses five hp per half-hour in fire, firewalkers lose five per hour? that way you can still hide in fires, but you gotta check in on your character more often to heal up some.

woodrow guthrie: a derby folk singer. out to map the entire island and bag some exotic game.
fluffhead: a york fellow who is helping operate the derby training facility. are you dtf?
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »

That would indeed be the fix: lose 5HP every hour or so.

I've laid it on a bit thick - not "impervious", but certainly very attack-resistent.

Cold Seether

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:13:30 AM »

You just noticed that's how the wildfires worked? After how many years?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:22:28 AM »

Never had to kill someone hiding in one before, Seethie. Generally I tried to avoid fires because of the HP toll.

The blackened squares though are good for killing tracks.

Cold Seether

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:48:53 AM »

When the stupid fires first came out, the PKers around Derby used them ad nauseum. Never failed to tick me off. I'd still get my targets, but I burned tons of banked xp to do it. The worst was when maxed out cannibals would hide in the fire.

I still have some ill-feelings over the fire hiding mechanic.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »

This used to tick me off, too, but since the haunting skill, I don't really care. It's true it's been an issue for years, but something has already not-happened about it, so I take it as one of those things that are simply part of the game. Like scouts. Now THAT'S an overpowered class, I wonder why it hasn't been nerfed already.

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Nursie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »

Cry babies.   Cry
Jalal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »

Could you not take the fire out by emptying water?

Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend.
Muad'Dib

Muad "Maud" Dib

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »

Could you not take the fire out by emptying water?
It takes several bottles to put out ONE square, and every single time you empty a water container, the fire still hits you for 5 hp. Better to just shoot at the guy.

YEAH SCOUTS!

Trawling. Scouts and explorers alone can find extra stuff in the water.
I think trawling is appropriate because the classes feel like being in a pool of sadness.

Nursie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:16:42 AM »

Just wade in, attack them until you die in fiery agony then wail to your heart's content as a ghost. Particularly fun against cannibals and player killers because your death is not their kill and also they can't eat you.  Then everybody is annoyed.  Success.   
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:59:03 AM »

This was a technique that Grunk and the Collective use to use against towns they were raiding, but I found it to be too powerful, and I believe got some of the members to stop it.

Simon
Shartak Developer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »

I was going to say that cross-referencing player locations with those of fire to reduce HP at regular intervals would be a burden on the database.. but there's so few players that it probably wouldn't take much time at all now. I guess that's a little task for tonight.
Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »

i would think that you could do it the same way you have shark attacks happen in deep water, probably reuse most of the same code too.
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »

But don't sharks currently work the same way as fire? You have to move to another deep water square before you risk getting bitten again.

Shroombaker says “Who was it that was looking for Dani al..la-ka-zam?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: