Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
October 23, 2017, 03:32:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Landscapers  (Read 16032 times)
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »

At the moment, there is no active road maintenance clan in Shartak. In the past we had The Shartak Road Crew and the Civilized Highway Society. The latter is still active, but with only two active members and an idled founder, it's outlived its usefulness, at least as far as coordination goes. I'd like to propose a new clan, not only for maintaining current roads (chopping jungle, adding signposts), but extending the road system for maximum player utility, and beautifying Shartak with more fruit trees and possibly even resource cache rest stops.

Getting from one end of the island to another is a real pain. It's easy enough on the western peninsula with the Durham-York Memorial highway and the recently added Durham Detour, which links the shipwreck-Dalpok road to the DYM, but once you hit York it gets tricky. The York end of the road is in a state of disrepair with jungle outgrowth on a lot of spots and missing signposts, making it pretty easy to lose your way. As far as I can tell, there's no road that links York to Derby, much less Durham/Shipwreck to Derby. It looks like there's been a few attempts to link York to Dalpok/Wiksik, but they all fall short of their destination. On the Native side it's even worse. The CHS discusses a proposed Mountain Loop Highway that bridges Dalpok to Raktam, but I've never been able to find it, so I don't think it ever got built. I know there's a road that links Raktam to Wiksik but last I checked the road stops before you're halfway through, and then you're surrounded in D7 jungle. A lot of that is probably due to low-traffic on the road coupled with slack effort to chop down jungle outgrowth. In short it's all a big mess.

What I want to do is extend the DYM past York, with an intersection at -70.403,+26.350, which is the point where the path slopes diagonal into the York Peninsula. From what can I tell it will probably have to head diagonally above the swamp, with a river ford crossing at around -70.350,+26.386, and then more-or-less continue straight east until Derby, with an intersection to Wiksik. Ideally I'd also like to add detour paths linking the highway with any nearby ruins to sleep the night, but we'll have to wait and see. My main concern is Durham-York-Derby, but I'd definitely be interested in adding more consistant roads between the native villages as well, if there's support from Native characters and plenty of driftwood on hand.

As I say, there's more to it than road engineering. I'd be interested in projects to add and maintain fruit trees to places that get a lot of traffic for one reason or another, preferably near roads, lakes and the Hazen River. I'd be interested in adding marked resource caches in various places, either near roads and ruins, or at particularly dangerous areas like swamps. Caches would contain useful items dependant on location, so FAKs/HH, rifles, bullets/blowpipes, darts, machetes, gps kits, etc, with a written obligation to refill if possible. I'd also like to build roads that link villages to faraway resources like grasslands, swamps, and freshwater sources. I've already started doing that in York, building a Swamp Trail and adding bullet caches in various spots around the swamp. Lastly, I'm somewhat enchanted by this idea of island conservation (if that's even possible), so maybe starting fires in heavily forested areas but limiting the area it can burn, protecting grasslands, etc.

This is largely going to be an informal, word-of-mouth project; I'm not bothering with making an in-game clan for it though I'll probably announce it in the Almanac. What I really need is two things

1) driftwood, lots of it and no strings attached.

2) some show of support. It's definitely not a full-time gig. But if you're like me and you don't have trailblazing, well, it can be damned slow-going to travel off-road, so help is appreciated even if it's only for a day or two at a time.

Thoughts?

Here's the CHS guide from the Wiki, which is pretty useful.

Shroombaker says “Who was it that was looking for Dani al..la-ka-zam?
Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:10:02 AM »

There have been countless attempts by foreigners to convert Shartak into a pretty and organized Shambhala, and all the predecessors before you and the whole of the following movements after you will fail miserably. Had the skygods desired these bloody lands to serve as a utopia, they would erased the threat of death and fatigue altogether. The rash of wildfires was a blessing by the sky gods for it both sustained and extended the island's capacity to challenge our survival instincts. You simply cannot beat nature unless your aggregate's biomass exceeds the forest's implicit botanical wisdom.

Hence, I will make it my mission to go out of my way from murdering helpless animals to slay any participants involved with this ill treatise.

~ Hitodama
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:42:12 AM »

Kafir, if you impede my task in any way, I will cut your hands off with a machete and leave them for wild boars to devour.

(just don't break my signposts, k?)
-Dani al-Ghazali

Killian

I'm a hypogrifte!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:54:38 AM »

My blades shall be as desert winds swallowing a hapless caravan, relieving them of their cycle of torment by the blazing sun. Your Allah shall not save their corpses from lining the roads. Those boars you speak of do not distinguish what flesh is halal.

OOC: When I make threats on the forum, what really happens is I harass a few people, maybe kill a handful, but then feel guilty about the whole fiasco and patch them up while apologizing their ears off. So I'll be honest: Try, but don't expect too much if you realize the ceiling of your charisma.
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:59:34 AM »

Try, but don't expect too much if you realize the ceiling of your charisma.

Been there, done that. At this point, we're at the attic of my ambition.

Honey de Lune

You don't even know about wild mountain honey..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »

I, Honey de Lune, on behalf of the Sour Apple and the good people of York, offer one hundred gold in order to purchase some of the supplies necessary for roadwork.

You could say it's my instinct
yes, I still have one
There's no time to second guess it
yes, there are things that I'm still so afraid of
But my courage is roaring like the sound of the sun!
Etherdrifter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »

Just a thought for you, since it is currently abandoned, Midway offers a good place to hunt for driftwood.  Perhaps mounting an expedition there to secure supplies would be the wisest action?

Pro Bono Collagium

Quote of the week

"There will be no miracle"

Raffles

Swords 'n' silks

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:48:04 PM »

Hafta would be prepared to help. He also has a number of fruit seeds already.

I'd go for triple square width, slowing down overgrowth and making the road more obvious with signage down the centre square. It also acts as fantastic fire break.
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »

Just a thought for you, since it is currently abandoned, Midway offers a good place to hunt for driftwood.  Perhaps mounting an expedition there to secure supplies would be the wisest action?

Good idea for when I reach there. I'm currently using the York Boatyard as my resource findy-thing.

Hafta would be prepared to help. He also has a number of fruit seeds already.

I'd go for triple square width, slowing down overgrowth and making the road more obvious with signage down the centre square. It also acts as fantastic fire break.

Great! Yeah, I hadn't thought of that but triple-square makes a lot of sense, even if you only do it once or twice.

So I merged the Durham-York road with Woo's Dalpok-York Trail at [-70.369,+26.354], which goes straight north to bypass the swamps. It's a little clumsy but we might as well make use of existing roads. my last stop was [-70.369,+26.383]. I'm just collecting driftwood now, and then I'm going to consolidate the merged trail a bit, making it look more visible especially to Yorkies. 

Raffles

Swords 'n' silks

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »

I will head there from Raktam, it make take a few days.
Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »

Someone has taken it upon themselves to destroy the Dalpok-shipwreck road. I think it was probably a pirate, since the road leading from Dalpok is still partially intact. I'm therefore placing a 50 gc bounty for the names of any pirate who has destroyed 12 or more signposts. I don't want them killed, I just want names. Interested parties should send me any info they find either via pm or posting on this thread, and I'll deliver payment through Dani al-Ghazali.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:18:32 PM by Mencken » Logged

Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »

Island Landscapers, I was wondering if I could implore you to create a road to Tarak's Spit, or whatever Moorish name you have taken to calling it, with signs that declare it's the place for the Alligator Romp.

I would appreciate it.

~Neil Tathers

Dani

drama queen in recovery.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »

I'll make it a priority. What I would need from you is approx gps coords for where you want me to start it from (from Tarak's Spit) and where you want it to end (near a village or to intersect with the nearest road). I have enough driftwood on me to make up to 30 signposts, or a 60-pace road.

Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 01:16:30 AM »

I'll make it a priority. What I would need from you is approx gps coords for where you want me to start it from (from Tarak's Spit) and where you want it to end (near a village or to intersect with the nearest road). I have enough driftwood on me to make up to 30 signposts, or a 60-pace road.

Let's take ti to PM's then.

~Neil Tathers

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 02:58:49 AM »

I should clarify something regarding the road situation, I am fairly sure- as a person who looks at the ubermap quite often- that there has been, at one time or another, a road for virtually any conceivable route, at least between two villages- at least a line of cut jungle, not necessarily with signposts let alone an officially announced/named one; this included all sorts of intersections and suchnot, with plenty of redundant routes. Last I checked, most of them were still on the ubermap... but alas, for some reason few of them seem apparent, checking the ubermap now. I think that fires have caused something of a problem with them, since they were only distinguished by a line of cut jungle, which is indistinguishable from surrounding land recovering from a wildfire.
Thus, long story short, it's not that road projects were never started or completed, far more roads than you could imagine have been completed, but very few of them were maintained. Just wanted to bring this up... mostly for semantics and an island history type note, I suppose.

Anyway, this sounds like a worthy cause. I'm wondering if I should turn one of more of my presently grassland-defending chars to work on this... oh, as it happens, one of them is on Tarak's Spit right now. Unfortunately I'm not on the forums much, so it'll be difficult for anyone to inform me where I'm supposed to work... and since there doesn't seem to be an official clan, I don't see any way for me to be reminded of this. Too bad really... maybe in some mythical future where I feel like returning to the Shartak forums I'll notice this again. Best of luck; sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edit: Actually, I discovered a preexisting path off of Tarak's Spit with The Signpost and decided to extend it eastward through recovering (mostly d1) wildfire territory. It started at y-coordinate +26.463, but starting at [-70.218,+26.462] I discovered the beginning of some signposts about a Wiksik/Tarak's spit road, and decided to move the east/west road 1 square south to match with the end of that... which might be confusing but ah well. It'll extend westward from there at y-coordinate +26.462.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:08:11 AM by AlexanderRM » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: