Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
November 24, 2017, 11:13:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advanced Cartography  (Read 3061 times)
Iceman

I don't like you because you're dangerous

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:18:20 PM »

A new skill available to Explorers and Scouts. Requires Cartography.

Explorers - allows a GPS coordinate to be entered on the Map screen and creates a waypoint at that location, which you can head to in the usual manner. Only one coordinate can be used at a time, and the waypoint is in addition to the character's regular waypoints. Explorers with Native Knowledge can also use the Scout version of this skill (see below)

Scouts - allows a selection on the Map screen from a dropdown menu of all settlements and various landmarks (including the Grotto, Temple and Tower) and creates a waypoint at that location, which you can head to in the usual manner. Only one settlement or structure can be used at a time, and the waypoint is in addition to the character's regular waypoints. Scouts with Outsider Knowledge can also use the Explorer version of this skill (see above)

This is not a game-changing skill, but would be a very useful addition. The Explorer version more so, but this is balanced by the Outsider Knowledge caveat. It is of course possible to navigate to landmarks or GPS coordinates using various wiki, ubermap and GPS helper tools, but I would much prefer to have the simpler 'The location you're headed towards (xyz) is a great distance west.'

This doesn't in any way balance the much-underpowered Scout/Explorer classes, but I do think it would make a worthwhile addition, in the same vein as Scientists' Field Surgery.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:54:07 PM by Iceman » Logged

Twist - boner-inducingly handsome | ClickClick - guardian of the Dalpoki | Sympathetic Phil - hard-bitten mercenary and surly drunkard |
Tkltchk - hungry, want eat | Fist McRhinopuncher - fairly self-explanatory

"Iceman?" How gay is that? | Suggestions
Ahnaom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:52:33 PM »

Sounds really good. We need such things for the underdog classes.
Bobby the Hatchet

Red-Blooded Heterosexual

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:55:19 PM »

Yes, very nice.

"He is really not so ugly after all, provided, of course, that one shuts one's eyes, and does not look at him." - Oscar Wilde
Etherdrifter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »

I like it.  Well done that man.

Pro Bono Collagium

Quote of the week

"There will be no miracle"

Jack Bauer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:25:02 PM »

I like that a lot that's a good idea. It would help differentiate the class without overpowering it.

I'm an American nationalist and a registered Libertarian. I've been called a xenophobe but I'm not. I just happen to believe America is the best country and the other countries just aren't as good, that used to be called patriotism.

"Two Jews walk into a bar and that bar was called damnation. Praise his name." -Rev. Jimmy´╗┐

Are you ready to ask her that big question...."Will you get me another beer?"
Simon
Shartak Developer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »

I'm revisiting some of the suggestions that were nominated for the features page. The original suggestion seems reasonable. Anyone got any thoughts about it before I add it in?
Cobalt Manticore

"Shartak = Share +/- Take! Which Do You?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »

If ya mean like add in the GPS coord, and "Head To" like you would on a saved map location, that sounds pretty nifty.

Simon
Shartak Developer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:33:56 PM »

This has been added to the feature votes page.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: