Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
September 21, 2017, 04:52:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Badge suggestions  (Read 20652 times)
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »

Following on from here: http://forum.shartak.com/index.php/topic,2605.75.html

1. Waterfall Climb
You have tasted the spray of the Crazy Falls, an echo of the thunder of the water ringing in your ears for days.

2. Heavy Sword Dredger
You have found a heavy sword, the keen blade eager for blood but only in the hands of an expert will it not falter.

3. Midway Tower
You climbed the rickety stairs of the lone tower, and listened to the pounding of the surf and the cries of the gulls, wondering as to the origin of this grim citadel.

4. Heavy Sword Victim
The iron blade has spilled your blood and torn your flesh. Know pain and feed the worms.

5. Deep Water Navigation
You have crossed the channel and braved the sharks, and lived to tell the tale.

6. Dune Crossing
The lonely dunes have been your home for too long, and your mind has wandered into empty spaces.

7. Firedeath
The all-consuming fires have incinerated your body, with death being the only release from the burning cage of your flesh.

8. Kraken Slayer
The butcher of the oceans is your victim, the creature's death throes repulsive but grimly satisfying.

any more?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:53:22 AM by FirstAmongstDaves » Logged

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »

9. Circumnavigation
You have travelled around the island. Brave, determined, and foolhardy.

10. Deathcheater
You have not died for 60 days. Be happy for the shamans have forgotten your face!

11. Goldminer
You have hunted for gold in the bowels of the island. Beware the giant arachnids!

12. Deep Six'd
Killed on the wreck. Unfortunate but commonplace.

13. Entombed
You have survived a day in the cradle of death. Be glad this place is no longer used for sacrifices.

14. Spitfire
You have lit 50 fires. The pretty, pretty flames...

Ahnaom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »

Where would you have these? In your profile?
I'd like to have an option to hide or delete them.
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »

You can currently opt out of wealthy stats so hiding badges should be theoretically possible.

Writing this out actually made me realise this is probably a really, really big coding task. Everytime someone crosses the dunes the game needs to know to give them a badge. Everytime someone crosses a deep water channel, or gets killed by a heavy sowrd, or goes up the waterfall, they get a badge.

Ahnaom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:28:26 PM »

Maybe it would be possible to reduce the number of the badges and keep only the relevant ones?

Like, the waterfall is very easy to visit, not much of an achievement. Maybe visiting mountain path, waterfall, all the swamps, getting 75% of island mapped and so on would grant one huge badge of exploring?

Other could be even simpler, like getting a badge once you healed 5000 hp or killed 200 members of opposing faction. And they would reduce the load on the server since such stats are already tracked.
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »

Maybe it would be possible to reduce the number of the badges and keep only the relevant ones?

Like, the waterfall is very easy to visit, not much of an achievement. Maybe visiting mountain path, waterfall, all the swamps, getting 75% of island mapped and so on would grant one huge badge of exploring?

Other could be even simpler, like getting a badge once you healed 5000 hp or killed 200 members of opposing faction. And they would reduce the load on the server since such stats are already tracked.

Yep, that's an extremely sensible suggestion. Same goes for specific animal kills. Once you kill your first animal, you get a "Novice Hunter" badge (so the badges are immediately available to new players): you kill your first ferocious tiger and you get a "Tiger Hunter" badge: you kill 100 animals and you get a "Expert Hunter" badge.

This also leaves open a wealth/gold coin badge, a home town kills badge (a very dubious distinction), an explorer badge (caluclated on 5 of island visited), an exorcism badge, a top feaster badge, top trade badge, top wailer/shriker and top exorcist badge.

Its been a while since I've looked at the stats page actually - quite interesting.

Swarm

Could you hold this TNT for me? Thanks.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »

I like it.  If you have already accomplished some of them can you get the medals early?  Or would you have to complete them again?
lama
iz doin it rite akshully

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »

I say complete again. And never say what can get you one, just how many there are Grin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:22:14 PM by lama » Logged

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:12 AM »

I say complete again. And never say what can you get one, just how many there are Grin

Exactly.

Skull Face

Chimay Red

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »

Make them genuine achievements. Climbing the tower on Wicksick Island is an achievement due to deep water hazards, climbing the waterfall is not. A small XP award for each would not go amiss either e.g. 25 XP per badge would make some of them useful to new players as a non-violent method of advancement.

(Thinking on this, better make the badge names generic rather than getting into the Wicksick Island / Midway / Tower Of Death argument.)

Also, if possible, retrospective granting of badges please, especially for those who have healed thousands of HP worth (for example). Acknowledge those who have been making an effort

My additions:

* Restless Spirit - Your have journeyed far (revived at least once by each of the roaming shaman).

* Egg Hunter - You have discovered the secret treasure of Shartak Mountain (not granted for eggs received via gift or trade).

* Dark Descent - You have drunk from the sacred pool at the heart of Shartak (perhaps add a terrain feature to the island in the middle of the pool).

* Bringer Of Life - You have selflessly healed the sick (cured 2500 HP damage to people not of your home camp).

* Song Of The Deep - You have made the fabled conch shell sing (blown it 50 times).

* Braumeister - You know your grape from your grain (brewed one of each type of alcohol).

* Green Thumb - You are at one with nature (grown and picked one of each type of fruit).

DazedandConfused

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »

The idea is sound but the badges would need to be given out to people who have already earned them especially the stat based ones as you can't unexplore the island etc.

"* Bringer Of Life - You have selflessly healed the sick (cured 2500 HP damage to people not of your home camp)."

Does where you come from get counted when some one heals you? if so it's not listed and adding that in now would be a tad harsh on the people who have healed way over 2500 HP unless that data is already collected but not shown.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:43:22 PM by DazedandConfused » Logged

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 03:41:58 PM »

I really have no issue with starting from scratch with the badges. I've got old alts but can't see it as being somehow unfair. It'd give me something to do.

Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »

If badges are based off of old stats, then they should automatically be given out anyways?

Squid Killer - Kill a fully grown giant squid.

snico

equal opportunity eater

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »

I have one suggestion!

Farm Master- You've planted a tree in every settlement, including the Shipwreck and Rakmogak.

I agree that we should have to do them again, but DazedandConfused has a good point with the ones relating to travel.  What if we made it that you have to travel around the outline without dying?

Also: would you have to single-handedly kill the squid?  If a group of players attack a squid, does only the character who made the final blow get the badge?

Nice job, FAD, getting these all together.  I think this would be a great addition to the game!!!

Snico Princess Nico Marcy
A parrot squawks "Lady be free, Lady be fine! Princess Nico, Will you be mine?" (2010-08-30)
Simon
Shartak Developer
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »

"Veteran" - for those who were on Shartak before v2
"Learned One" - for those who successfully finished the entire tutorial and didn't just click the Skip Tutorial button (and I can reactivate it for a character if anyone is really desperate to get all the badges)

I'm definitely open to alternative names for the second one
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: