Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
December 16, 2017, 03:13:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monthly In-Game Contests  (Read 3698 times)
Iceman

I don't like you because you're dangerous

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »

Continuing the theme of creating structured ways to play the game, I propose that there be monthly competitions or contests held, coded into the game. They would be similar to the Spirit Quests suggestion, except that players would be in competition with each other, rather than participating for their own sake.

Contests would involve such shenanigans as who can kill the most tigers/elephants/monkeys/animals/pirates/cannibals/natives/outsiders, who could visit the most locations without dying, who could heal the most HP, etc. They would last for a set period of time – 10 to 14 days seems suitable. They would be announced via Game News, and (perhaps through a new screen) only one character per account could be registered to compete.

There would be XP and item rewards for the player with the most kills/heals/whatever, and honourable mentions for second and third place. I would suggest something meaningful like 1000XP and a heavy sword, to encourage participation. Or perhaps something like an extra 5AP per day or 5 max HP until the next contest? A new statistics page would be set up, with the results of the last 12(?) contests, and also a Hall of Fame for the top 10 winners.

To further encourage people to enter, I would like to see a unique description added to the winners’ profiles. After the usual ‘they carry’ information, there would be a ‘they wear’ with the winner being awarded a medal (Outsiders) or a tribal tattoo (Natives) for each contest they win.

Again, I feel this would create a more structured environment for the new or casual player, and also for the currently-directionless or unchallenged experienced player. The possibility of an otherwise-unobtainable prize would also make it an enticing prospect. Holding them regularly would encourage people to stick around for the next one. Taken with the Maps/Quests, it would allow players to compete either against themselves, as it were, on personal quests, or against the community in the contests.

There are details required, but the concept is both simple and engaging. Contest specifics, regularity, duration and prizes could do with further discussion. The way they are inmplemented too - whether as an entirely outside event, or worked into the fabric and flavour of the game.

Twist - boner-inducingly handsome | ClickClick - guardian of the Dalpoki | Sympathetic Phil - hard-bitten mercenary and surly drunkard |
Tkltchk - hungry, want eat | Fist McRhinopuncher - fairly self-explanatory

"Iceman?" How gay is that? | Suggestions
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:20:44 PM »

This has my support.  It doesn't rule out player organised competitions, but provides for something every month without requiring players to organise something.

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
Ahnaom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:47:13 PM »

A very good and easy to implement idea.

This would require some tweaking though.
E.g. healing can be done right after attacking, you can farm a lot on other players and animals.

If Simon approves this maybe we can start building particular ideas and then vote for the best to be added?
Swarm

Could you hold this TNT for me? Thanks.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:49:14 AM »

I was thinking of a game of capture the flag.  It would be hard to pull off, but maybe it would work. Dicuss it.
snico

equal opportunity eater

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:49:43 AM »

I was thinking of a game of capture the flag.  It would be hard to pull off, but maybe it would work. Dicuss it.

no.

how in the world would we play a capture the flag in this game?  what does that have to do with anything in Shartak?  What does that have to do with this post?

sorry, its late and I've worked in the rain all day.  but seriously, think before posting.

To be more on topic, I love this idea Iceman... It's only Feb. 5th, can we start this month??  I think the stats thing is a must, that adds a lot to the prize, having your name up there!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:58:27 AM by snico » Logged

Snico Princess Nico Marcy
A parrot squawks "Lady be free, Lady be fine! Princess Nico, Will you be mine?" (2010-08-30)
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »

no.
how in the world would we play a capture the flag in this game? 

We already have it.  It's called capture the conch.

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
KingBiscuit

LOOK OUT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:16:24 AM »

How about for solidarity/bonding amongst towns/villages, certain contests could give buffs to your entire side?

If a Derbyite wins contest X, everyone from Derby gets +5HP or +5% to hit or some such.

This would encourage towns to compete against each other, maybe support champions, or hit these things up before big raids.

“I’m an Indian tonight, baby,” he announced. “C’mon, let’s let ’em have it.” Then he dumped a pickle jar of change on the floor, told her to get a machete, and went out to the garage.
Skull Face

Chimay Red

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »

How about for solidarity/bonding amongst towns/villages, certain contests could give buffs to your entire side?

If a Derbyite wins contest X, everyone from Derby gets +5HP or +5% to hit or some such.

This would encourage towns to compete against each other, maybe support champions, or hit these things up before big raids.

Or help people from their town to farm their way to the top of the table? Benefits should be individual I think.

Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »

how about using the stats that the game already keeps on all the characters? maby randomly pick a catagory and reward whoever shows the most growth over the course of the month?

example1: whoever chops the most jungle for february gets a -10% chance of blunting/breaking his weapons for the month of march.

example2: whichever village kills the most tigers for february gets a +10% find rate in it's weapon hut for the month of march.
KingBiscuit

LOOK OUT

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »

Or help people from their town to farm their way to the top of the table? Benefits should be individual I think.

What's wrong with helping people from your town? In other threads, people have talked about the need for conflict/intertown cooperation. What's wrong with that?

“I’m an Indian tonight, baby,” he announced. “C’mon, let’s let ’em have it.” Then he dumped a pickle jar of change on the floor, told her to get a machete, and went out to the garage.
Iceman

I don't like you because you're dangerous

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 09:37:01 PM »

I like that idea. But perhaps it should be limited to some sort of Grand Contest, held every three or four months? I know a lot of people don't like killing other people and blah blah blah, but for a prize like that I do feel it would have to be a player-killing contest - it needs to be worthy of the prize.

To work something like that into the game, maybe there could be a command from the spirits that the outsiders be cleansed from the island, and so attack outsider settlements. Or the other way round, the outsiders become fired up by tales of human sacrifice and cannibalism, and mount punitive raids against the villages?

Twist - boner-inducingly handsome | ClickClick - guardian of the Dalpoki | Sympathetic Phil - hard-bitten mercenary and surly drunkard |
Tkltchk - hungry, want eat | Fist McRhinopuncher - fairly self-explanatory

"Iceman?" How gay is that? | Suggestions
Swarm

Could you hold this TNT for me? Thanks.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »

no.

how in the world would we play a capture the flag in this game?  what does that have to do with anything in Shartak?  What does that have to do with this post?

sorry, its late and I've worked in the rain all day.  but seriously, think before posting.

To be more on topic, I love this idea Iceman... It's only Feb. 5th, can we start this month??  I think the stats thing is a must, that adds a lot to the prize, having your name up there!
I was thinking of it as a special artifact that the outsiders are trying to steal from the natives.  Whatever floats your boat.
Jhonka

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »

This is literally the best idea for Shartak that I've ever seen.

Jhonka, Imperious George, Seven Teeth.
Skull Face

Chimay Red

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »

We already have a capture-the-flag type game in the conch. If we were to have another I'd like to see every heavy sword in the game broken and a single unbreakable sword Excessus that has the same pickup / drop mechanics as the conch. Would you kill for an unbreakable heavy sword that yields double XP for damage done?

What's wrong with helping people from your town? In other threads, people have talked about the need for conflict/intertown cooperation. What's wrong with that?

In principle there's nothing wrong. Until you introduce unscrupulous types into the mix. Let me illustrate with two theoretical examples:

* The Golden Bandage - Healing XP bonus given to the town that heals the most HP. Except the townspeople get busy with stabbing-and-healing, farming the reward. Even with other-town mechanisms to curtail this activity it can still be farmed by importing out-of-town target dummies. Can you ever see the shipwreck getting this kind of group reward?

* The Magic Machete - Attack bonus given to the town that kills the most enemies. A few of The Raging Yorkmen get their native alts to soften up the unclean scum in Raktam and the rest of them run their York alts into town for an extended chopping session. When they actually get the reward the situation will just become worse as all the Yorkies now have improved attack skills. You've been on the receiving end of this kind of approach, do you really need me to elaborate?

Neither of these two are achievements. As I said, nothing wrong in principle. In practice, however, I'd prefer to see rewards given for actual achievement. And if possible, for non-combat achievements, with XP awards for all participants. Defining those achievements is the difficult part.

Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:04:43 AM »

I suggested a similar thing for Anthor's game.

My thought is that the contests would be set up by the player via some sort of standard form where you could fill out a number of options as to how the contest is run.

So you pick a name for the contest then define how people score points. How people score should probably be done with a few drop-down menus with a number of options so you'd choose killing/healing/exorcising/trading then outsiders/Yorkers/elephants/squid and so on.

Prize could also be from a number of different options. Perhaps a heavy sword/gold/xp/special item or whatever else.

People should need to be a certain level in order to create contests and then there'd need to be someone who goes through them each month and chooses one to be released.

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: