Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
December 16, 2017, 03:13:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reintroduction of the Sacred Space (was Faith pillers)  (Read 2806 times)
Iceman

I don't like you because you're dangerous

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:10:01 PM »

I was thinking, Sacred Space could serve its original purpose as a place to RP uninterrupted and be prevented from unbalancing the game by the simple(ish) expedient of making it a dream- or vision-type experience. You go into a trance and 'wake up' in the original Sacred Space, but your body remains in the 'real' world. You still appear on the regular map, can be killed and otherwise interacted with, but it has no effect until you return to your body.

For example, you go into the Medical Hut in York, lick a vision frog or drink a fungi spirit potion or whatever, and appear in the Sacred Space. You go about your business, wandering around the temple and gardens and stuff, then return to your body to find you've been wailed at, healed a few times, and killed by a 'policeman.' Both purposes are served, everybody gets what they want, bish bash bosh.

Twist - boner-inducingly handsome | ClickClick - guardian of the Dalpoki | Sympathetic Phil - hard-bitten mercenary and surly drunkard |
Tkltchk - hungry, want eat | Fist McRhinopuncher - fairly self-explanatory

"Iceman?" How gay is that? | Suggestions
CyAdora

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »

Using AP as normal when you are in a "dream-state SS"? And, very nice Iceman.

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."-  William Randolph Hearst 
Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »

still leaves several of the problems, mainly that as long as it requires you to not do something, rather than to do something, it effectively rewards non participation.
CyAdora

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »

Zeek, not if you body remains"in-play" on the mainland... It simply... Frees your mind....

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."-  William Randolph Hearst 
Swarm

Could you hold this TNT for me? Thanks.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »

I think you should be able to hack them down.  You get XP and the spirits get mad at you. 

I like that idea iceman, so you can't feel things that are happening to you?  What happens if you die when in "dream mode"?
Ahnaom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »

What if you get killed in the real world? Would you die inside the dream as well?
This would have a bunch of complications but very interesting, indeed.

I guess no items can be carried in or out either? That would serve as a meeting and communication point for many players then.
The main danger is more or less permanent inhabitants that would abandon their bodies altogether. With few Shartak players nowadays
any division would be really bad.
Iceman

I don't like you because you're dangerous

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »

still leaves several of the problems, mainly that as long as it requires you to not do something, rather than to do something, it effectively rewards non participation.

[PRETEND EDIT FOLLOWING NEW REPLY]
You have to come back at some stage. The problem with Sacred Space was that people would go to a town or village, trade/heal/exorcise, hide in Sacred Space until their AP was regenerated, pop back out and repeat. By keeping the body in the 'real' world, it removes the non-consequence element, whilst still allowing them to RP and whatever. Nobody wanted to live in the Sacred Space, they just wanted its protection. That was the whole problem.

AP would still be used, XP could still be gained and used, but items could not be given, received, used or dropped. The Trader would need to be removed, and so would the catacombs - or at least the spider, fungi and charms.

When you returned to your body, you would receive the same 'since your last move' log as you do when logging in or refreshing the page. If you were killed, you'd also be dead. Effectively, you would be logged out of your character and logged into an identical one in the Sacred Space. Nothing that happens in either state would effect the other, barring AP and XP.

Twist - boner-inducingly handsome | ClickClick - guardian of the Dalpoki | Sympathetic Phil - hard-bitten mercenary and surly drunkard |
Tkltchk - hungry, want eat | Fist McRhinopuncher - fairly self-explanatory

"Iceman?" How gay is that? | Suggestions
Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »

you still have the problem that comes from rewarding nonparticipation. basically, it's easy not to kill anyone, just don't log in for awhile. so if you put the reward on not killing that's what alot of people will do. now, if you required a certain average number of healing points, then you'd have people running around working for their entrance.

the other issue is that it unbalances the morality of the game. without something equivalent for nonpeaceful players to work toward, we will find very few combatants in the game.
Ahnaom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »

the other issue is that it unbalances the morality of the game. without something equivalent for nonpeaceful players to work toward, we will find very few combatants in the game.

I couldn't understand everything you tried to say but I certainly disagree with one thing. Violence right now is much more rewarded than peaceful playing. Combat with both PCs and NPCs (including animals) gives you most xp. Try levelling up by just healing and trading, it's very slow. There is no morality and no laws unless you impose them on yourself through the roleplaying. Even Santa was giving away swords for people with lots of kills.

I don't think Sacred Space is able to solve this in any way though. Peaceful xp income would do.
Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 10:41:13 PM »

I think the Sacred Space was an over-reaction to instances of griefing. Obviously we don't want people to have their game lives made a misery of, but death is a part of the game. If you're being killed every day then try killing them back, if you're a peaceful type then get on with your business and move out of town. I don't feel players should be able to opt out of certain game mechanics just because they don't happen to like them

Players being griefed by zerg-accounts or something similar should be dealt with some other way, not by having players able to disappear into a secret, unsiegable party-house.

Claims that it increases RP are also, I believe, false. Sure it gives you the chance to play with some others with a guarantee of no violet inturuption but it also excludes a lot of people. Casual visitors to towns who occassionally kill, like myself, can no longer pop-in and say hi to people or join in quickly in some party RP. Equally you don't get any juicy killing RP from those hoping to be able to live out the night from any vicious killer who might be lurking.

I know the SS caused a lot of friction when it was first introduced so I'll be watching this topic carrefully, so keep it civil.

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Buttercup

=O

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 12:11:46 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM by Buttercup » Logged

Shartak:Buttercup Wiki:Buttercup Shintolin:Buttercup Exodus3000:Happy

I also play Urban Dead. On the wiki I'm Ms.Panes.
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 09:18:46 AM »

I think the Sacred Space was an over-reaction to instances of griefing. ... I don't feel players should be able to opt out of certain game mechanics just because they don't happen to like them

Players being griefed by zerg-accounts or something similar should be dealt with some other way, not by having players able to disappear into a secret, unsiegable party-house.

Entirely agree. Having a single safe haven hut in each village would have accomplished the same thing, and with less effort. And as that group of players have moved on even the rationale for the SS has passed.

Fill the place with yetis, snow tigers, and avalanches, get rid of the gateways, and I would visit.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: