Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
November 23, 2017, 01:42:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short Story Contest: Legends Of The Fallen  (Read 10714 times)
Zeek

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:14:32 PM »

It has been noted of late that as new players have joined Shartak, others have left, some of them, quite well known and respected. Still others have remained, but allowed their more significant characters to fall into disuse. That those who have been around long enough remember them with sentiment and melancholy suggests something I have believed for some time now; that the game has, in it's relativity short existence, developed something of a unique, internal culture.
   This is a subject that I have long been interested in; the players and characters we miss form a sort of mythology of heroes and villains that those of us who have been around long enough share as a cultural memory. But the thing about cultural memory is, that if it's not actively maintained it will fade rapidly, as has been noted in that there will be or is an entire wave of players who have never feared The Butcher, or addressed The Queen, or hated Serious Sam. If those of us who hold the memories do not repeat them, then should we leave, the stories will die.
   It is with an eye toward these truths, that I have created this contest. It's purpose, however, is not so much to maintain memories of past events as it is to maintain the names of those involved. It is to further the ingame culture, by furthering the ingame mythology. It is less to remember the history of the game, which in many instances is already recorded, than it is to remember the characters who made the history, and shaped the microculture. All submissions that I receive will be preserved for all to read as long as there are players in the game, and, it is my hope that they will be repeated in the game, allowed to grow and mutate in the way that mythology does with each retelling, keeping the names alive, and elevating them into legends.
   This is essentially a fanfiction contest focused on idled out playercharacters. If it is well liked and successful, I hope to make it an annual event.

Rules.
   The following requirements govern the eligibility of submissions, any submission not in accordance with them will be rejected. Note however, that these rules only go into effect at the close of the deadline, as such a story may be entered which is not technically eligible at the time of submission, so long as it becomes eligible at or before the end of the submission period. Likewise, it is possible that an eligible story may become ineligible between the time of entry, and the end of said period.
-The deadline for submissions is March 7th. No entries will be accepted after that date.
-Entries must be submitted to me directly via private message through the forum, before the deadline closes.
-All submissions must focus on one or more actual characters from within the game, and include a link to said character's profile page (for -verification purposes).
-In order to be an eligible protagonist, said characters must meet the following requirements when the deadline closes:
--Character must be idled out for a minimum of three months. Thanks to the gracious indulgence of Simon, this information is now viewable on each idled out character's profile page.
--Character must be at a minimum of level five.
--Character must be at least one full year old at the time of the deadline.
-Entrants may submit multiple stories, but will only be eligible to win once. In the event that one submits multiple winning entries, the highest ranking will be retained, while the others will be relegated to the status of 'honorable mention'.

Guidelines.
   The following suggestions are meant to clarify the desired spirit of the competition. They are not official rules either either because they were deemed to be overly restrictive or subjective, or because they were deemed too easy to circumvent, or not universally enforceable.
-Entrants are requested to please refrain from submitting stories about their own characters. The contest is not a forum for developing one's own back story.
-Protagonists should be well known enough to be recognized by readers who have never met them in game.
-While ineligible characters may be included, stories should be primarily focused on the stated protagonist/s.
-While a first person narrative is acceptable, stories should not be told from the stated protagonist's point of view. These stories are meant to be repeated by others, not dictated by their subjects.
-While stories should be based on the manner in which characters have been known to conduct and describe themselves, as well as popular perception of them, inaccuracies and artistic license are permissible. Less history, more mythology.
-While accounts of actual historical events, or stories based around other existing material are acceptable, they should endeavor to offer some new insight into the stated protagonist's involvement with said events.

Victory Conditions.
   Winners will be selected through a vote on the forum. The voting period will begin immediately after the submission period ends, on March 1st. The length of the voting period, and the manner in which the vote is conducted will be decided upon at a later time, based on the number of submissions received.

Prizes.
   Currently, only limited outgame prizes are being offered, however, this may be subject to change (see below)
-Third place winner will receive a character sketch by myself, based on whatever character or description said winner wishes.
-Second place winner will receive two of these.
-First place winner will receive three of these, and in addition, the winning story will be fully illustrated by myself.

Additional Prizes.
   The above are the only prizes currently available, however, if anyone would like to enlarge the prize pool with their own contributions, they may contact me via private message on the forum. They have until the end of the submission period to do so.
   I am only able to furnish outgame prizes at the moment, as such I am looking primarily for people willing to offer their time and creative energy to the winners. These may include, for example illustrative services (soas to give the winners their choice of artist to furnish their prize), avatars or signature images for the forum, or inclusion in a future work. If anyone has other ideas for prizes, please contact me.
   I would like to offer ingame prizes too, but do not currently have a practical means to administer this. However, if I am able to find one, I will announce it here, and it will be open to donation as well.

Note: I have extended the submission deadline by seven days, more details here
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:47:22 PM by Zeek » Logged
Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:14:19 AM »

I'm no writer but I've been around a while (approaching 3 years) and so I'm happy to help with any information people may want. Obviously the people I know most about are the MG and our various enemies, but I'll offer what I can on any character you want to ask me about.

This was my 1000th post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:53:19 AM by Tom Failur » Logged

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:58:51 AM »

So we can write only stories about characters that have left the game?  Or can we do existing characters, as long as they aren't our own?

Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:48:45 AM »

they don't have to have officially left the game, but they do have to have been idle for at least three months. keep in mind though, that if a character should de-idle before the 28th, all entries focusing on them (or at least the ones focusing exclusively on them) will be disqualified. So it's probably safer to write about characters who have either officially left, or who have been idle for a really long time.

and i'm not going to disqualify anyone for writing about their own characters, i would just prefer that they didn't. Afterall, the best legends are those who never seek to become one. (just to clarify, nothing from the guidelines will be enforced, they are just suggestions based on what i most hope to accomplish)

In contest news: I have already received the first submission!

27 days remain
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about someone coming back during the contest period.  But I got a couple characters I'm eyeing up to write about.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:14 AM »

Blue Hummingbird is no longer idled out, by the way, after learning that her tomb had been converted into an "offalhouse" (whatever that is).

I'll out in a submission. Probably on either Ron Burgundy or WB Hazen.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Euphenics

καλλίστῃ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »

Approximately how long, in word count, should stories be? I don't want to lose because no one has the time to read my novel.

Zeek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »

As long as you can write in (now just under) four weeks.
As long as you think people are willing to read.
As long as you want.

26 days remain
Rob Zombie

Das Captain

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »

I...am going to write about Michael Edwards. A little send off, from one of his biggest admirers, told in first person, complete with idiolect and specific lexis.  Grin
EDIT: Oh noes, it seems he's not dead Shocked
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:35:19 PM by Rob Zombie » Logged

Captain of the Derby Privateers. Such as they are.
http://forum.shartak.com/index.php/topic,339.0.html - My finest interview in the Masthead.
AKA: Rincewind, cowardly shaman and trader,
AKA: Rozen, the smooth talking pirate. And trader.
Daskull

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:33:37 PM »

Shoot, if only BH hadn't come back. I'd already written one for her. O_o Not that I regret her return, oh no.

Now what to write about... RON BURGENDY is already taken...

*has a brilliant idea* They said villains, too...

Who's the original Shartak bad guy?

Who but Armadox?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:39:55 PM by Daskull » Logged

Winner of the Legends Of The Fallen contest.
Mill Wilkinson

Hunting enthusiastic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »

Hush! He might hear! *shivers*

He-who-shall-not-be-named!

Mill Wilkinson - Police and a hunter
Matt Wilkinson - Utility Banker in Durham
Cannibal Cook - Rakmogaki who loves outsider meat
The mastermind behind these three - a proud coffeejunkie

G3N: "Why is York always the hotspot for homoerotic drama?"
And then you wonder why I left...
Captain Jacobi

Currently ranting like a lunatic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:57 AM »

I've been here forever, but I am neither known nor respected.

You can still write about me though. That would be just fine.

Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:05:53 AM »

We can't your active.

It really limits our choices down.

Though I'm going to do an Armadox one as well.

Buttercup

=O

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 03:56:36 AM »

* Buttercup is intrigued by this contest, and contemplates either A rat or Man Eating Tiger as possible subject material.

Whether I'll actually do it is another matter... Tongue

Shartak:Buttercup Wiki:Buttercup Shintolin:Buttercup Exodus3000:Happy

I also play Urban Dead. On the wiki I'm Ms.Panes.
Neil Tathers

Likes to Click Buttons

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:58:10 PM »

* Buttercup is intrigued by this contest, and contemplates either A rat or Man Eating Tiger as possible subject material.

Whether I'll actually do it is another matter... Tongue

A rat was actually a servant of Keiichi, so you may want to go that route.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: