Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
November 23, 2017, 01:40:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Moderately Prodigious Treasure of Fester Shinetop  (Read 41582 times)
Fester Shinetop

Sipping on gin and Mango juice.

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2009, 05:30:13 PM »

4675gc, to be precise. Buried in a secret location, the whereabouts of which I have concealed within a series of clues. For the first clue, dear, sweet, avaricious treasure hunter, read on.. Fester Shinetop approaches the podium, clears his throat, prepares to address the hushed masses

Gentles; commons; Petit-bourgeois: Lend me your ears.

Money, whatever your station in life, is not, as you have been led to believe, a necessary evil.

No.

Far, far better than that, money is, in fact, is a sublime sophistication.

Without money, there is no commerce, little incentive or opportunity for art, and a great amount of inefficient labour. Yes money makes our lives more complicated, but in doing so it frees us from the mundane distractions of the nasty and brutish 'natural' state, and provides us with an artificial platform upon which to build our greatest achievements.

But I come here to bury money, not to praise it.

And where did I bury it?

WEll.....

I wanted, you see, to use the large sum that I had accrued during my time on Shartak for something that would provide people with a modicum of entertainment. I wanted people to whisper in awed tones about the legendary treasure of Fester Shinetop. However, I soon discovered that, not only did I not have the patience to save up a nice round sum like, say, 5000gc (although I did manage to save up enough to get me into the top twenty overall gold gains), I also lacked the ingenuity to make a treasure hunt so fiendishly designed and so dauntingly long that any potential treasure-hunters would throw their hands up and declare the prize an unobtainable myth.

Also, people were starting to make their own treasure hunts. I felt that it was below me to rush out nothing of any challenge,
but also not right of me to punctuate the search with periods of full stop. Therefore it was left me to hope that,
although no challenge to any one of our greater minds, it was not above me to give some passing amusement to some of the more kindhearted and indulgent denizens of the island.

To this end, I do crave your indulgence, as it has been at times necessary to stretch or distort the sense or reasonability of anything that I might say in order to fit clues into otherwise seemingly innocuous statements. If this makes me come across as slightly more nonsensical or opinionated than I would hope to be, then I apologise. It does, however, provide you with your first hint to finding the treasure - if something seems strained, then possibly it is.

Further hints:
  • I always try and spell things, as far as possible, with correct capitalisation, spacing, and punctuation.
  • I have tried to avoid anything that require any particularly abstruse knowledge - if you need to know something you should at least be able to easily Google it.
  • I have tried not to rely on anything of too transient a nature - I hope that the clues will be as followable next year as next week.

Now, until the treasure is found, I have decided to play at being hermit, and retire to a small, hopefully out-of-the-way, location. If you should happen upon me, feel free to say hi. That, I believe, is everything I need to share with you, barring your first clue.

So here it is..

Your first clue is this: A red herring.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:31:12 AM by Fester Shinetop » Logged

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »

May I ask about the "rules" of the treasure hunt, or is that part of the puzzle?

Fester Shinetop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:28:39 PM »

Certainly.

There are three rules:

1) If you find the treasure, then you may keep it*.

2) If you do not find the treasure, then you may not keep it.

3) Please try and refrain from talking about about Fight Club.

*I realise that it is, in fact, entirely possible to find the treasure completely by accident. I must ask people to try and avoid doing this.

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:17:57 PM »

Your first clue is this: A red herring.
I'm more and more certain that my guess as to the meaning of this clue was, in fact, correct.
My next step will be to determine whether or not the treasure actually exists and whether or not you've actually buried it and are actually intending for someone to figure out these clues and find it. Tongue

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »

May I suggest that you never actually give the approximate location away?

That way everyone will be digging for generations of players, if not found.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:08:02 AM »

May I suggest that you never actually give the approximate location away?

That way everyone will be digging for generations of players, if not found.
He needs to give some vague idea of where you could look, though. Nobody is going to just pick up a shovel and go along digging VG holes everywhere. However, if he gave clues that, depending on how you interpret them, indicate that it might be in this general area, or in this type of area, or this or that, generations of players would try to figure out where it was buried and go digging where they thought the hints led to.

BLooDCLotT

ESHC Founder,KotIRC_C visitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 03:40:57 AM »

look along the beach-Hearing is a fish-duh

HEY LOOK--- I know where you Are!
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:21:16 AM »

Either this first clue is actually a red herring, or it is near a bank - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring ....?

Milkchew

Who said that?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »

Grin
wambayak

WAMBA-BAMM-BAYAK!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »

I think it`s on a square where you can find something useless like a charm! 

Next hint?
Remalle

I am the God of Hellfire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 06:43:52 PM »

It's near a tree, of course.  We have to chop it down.

This person is my next target.
Fester Shinetop

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »

As you stand on the shore, scanning the waters for a red herring, you notice a small bottle has washed up on the beach. It has a rolled-up note in it.

Dear all,

Hello! I hope that you are all enjoying my treasure by now! Am having a lovely time here - the weather is fabulous, and the accommodation, though basic, has its own sort of rugged charm. I just wanted to drop you this note, just in case you were having any trouble following my clues - I thought I might not have made myself entirely clear.. I'm afraid that my first post was the only clue that you're getting directly from me - it contains the germ of the search; it is the first step that should lead you to the next step, and so on and so on. Anyway, I'm rambling on and on and I'm running out of space. Bye! Wish you were here! Send gin!

Quest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »

"Red herring" appears once in the shartak wiki:

http://wiki.shartak.com/index.php/Parchment_Pages

It appears adjacent to a picture of a region in the northeast of Raktam.  I dug around here a bit but didn't find anything.    GAY GAY
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 03:39:10 AM »

There are some un-named huts north-east of Raktam....?

Tom Failur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 12:38:05 PM »

Anyone interested in collaborating on this?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:45:49 PM by Tom Failur » Logged

Tom "Pimp Mastah" Failur- Is no longer a mercenary.
Tlotzin- Headhunting Aztec
TET- Researching the mysteries of the island

<Lexy> Tom isn't real
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: