Shartak The Official Shartak Forum
Click here to play NOW!
November 23, 2017, 01:39:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Profiles for NPCs  (Read 6692 times)
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:46:42 AM »

Currently there is no way to check who may have killed an NPC Trader or Shaman, or who may have been killed by them, beyond a lot of detective work with character profiles.

This suggestion may be horribly complex to implement, without knowledge of the code it's difficult to say - but simply put this suggestion is:

Create profiles for the NPC traders and shamans.  e.g.  http://www.shartak.com/npc.cgi?id=Trader Tom could provide you with some information on Trader Tom - how much he's traded today, who he's killed recently, who killed him last etc.

http://www.shartak.com/npc.cgi?id=Movak could provide you with information on Movak, how many people he's revived of late, who he's killed recently, who killed him last etc.

The profiles should not contain information on who the trader has traded with, or who the shaman may have revived - that information could be misused in game by those with less than pure intent.

Thoughts, comments, dissections, disagreements?

Johan Crichton
Please read the forum rules before posting.
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
G3N

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »

I think this would be a great addition... Would santa get a profile as well?   

characters:

Pirate/Idiot: G3N

Cannibal: Master Teeth

Hired Killer: Kamikui

Shaman: Rill
Mill Wilkinson

Hunting enthusiastic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »

Profile text should be somewhat adjustable by the town-dwellers. Not in game, just that we might get or scruffy and sleepy trader whereas other town gets a prim and proper one.

Mill Wilkinson - Police and a hunter
Matt Wilkinson - Utility Banker in Durham
Cannibal Cook - Rakmogaki who loves outsider meat
The mastermind behind these three - a proud coffeejunkie

G3N: "Why is York always the hotspot for homoerotic drama?"
And then you wonder why I left...
Vetari

YUN CU'THI JUHGER MUN!!! (You can't judge me!!!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »

Profile text should be somewhat adjustable by the town-dwellers. Not in game, just that we might get or scruffy and sleepy trader whereas other town gets a prim and proper one.
That adds to the fun

Forum Rule of the Month:
* Try to stay on topic.  Don't hijack threads (without a good reason).

Active
Vicious
Marco Machetti

I'm a legitimate businessman!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »

I like this idea.
Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 06:51:24 AM »

I'm not sure whether this suggestion implies that the giant squid should get profiles, but Santa, the Chief Elf and and other similarly unique NPC's I envisaged having them.

Unique descriptions per NPC is also a great addition to this idea - thanks Mill!

Johan Crichton
"Simple suggestion -> complicated/confusing suggestion = never implemented." - FAD
lama
iz doin it rite akshully

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:18:16 AM »

I like this a lot. Very good.

AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 03:40:57 AM »

Not sure how easy this would be to do with the profiles. I'd  hope that you wouldn't have to give every single character in the game stats for people revived and time traded (or whatever) just to give those stats to shamen and traders.
Personally, I'd suggest having them done reasonably similarly to character profiles- have kills, deaths, and so on all listed, along with other things like people revived, times traded, and presents delivered for specific types of NPCs. It would be nice if we could have both total stats and this day, or whatever, but either one would be OK.

Johan Crichton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:53:24 AM »

<<Bump>>

It seems bizarre that you can meet another pc in the middle of the jungle, not speak their language, but learn who killed them last, and who they've killed.

But in the settlements, the NPC's are mute or gagged on similar details.

Johan Crichton
FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »

Excellent idea. Some theatrical background might be nice, too, eg.

Movak is a roaming shaman originally from Dalpok. Many years ago he was a simple hunter, who ascended the mountain in search of food. Movak stumbled upon a sacred temple, and met Skulu, the high priestess of the mountain temple of the Unseen One. Skulu taught Movak the powers of the shaman, and the two dared to fall in love. The Unseen One became furious, and cast them from the mountain temple. By reason of the Unseen One's wrath and the peculiarity of his magical curse, Movak and Skulu are doomed to look for each other across the breadth of the island, but are invisible to each other's presence.

Igoban and Zakano are identical twin sisters from Wiksik who detested each other from birth. The jealousy and anger harboured by the twins of each other culminated in a fearsome oath, the only matter the two sisters have ever agreed upon: they have vowed never to rest upon land where the other has set foot. And so by reason of their respective restlessness have never ceased walking the island, sustained only by their magical shamanic powers and all-consuming bitterness.

Atok says he is the husband of Shartak, a beautiful mermaid. She is charming and warm, and loves all her children. Her only flaw is a voracious appetite. She ate and ate and ate until she became the size of an island. Too big to scratch herself, she commands Atok to run about her body and scratch where it itches. But Atok has always had a dry sense of humour, and no one can be sure if he is telling the truth, or not.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Vetari

YUN CU'THI JUHGER MUN!!! (You can't judge me!!!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »

Lovely one. Except... i always thought the shamen were males. hahaha

I'll try my hand with Trader Tom.
Trader Tom, born as Thomas Morrow, is a Trader. He currently operates a monopoly in trading in Derby. He was a famed conartist back in Canada before he was captured by bounty hunters hired by the Empire. He was given the choice of losing three pairs of socks, three tracts of land or staying on Shartak for three thousand years. Having no socks or land to lose, Tom was exiled to Shartak without another word. Upon arriving, Tom's survival instincts kicked in. He set up his shop and he found that scamming the outsiders and natives alike was good business.

Forum Rule of the Month:
* Try to stay on topic.  Don't hijack threads (without a good reason).

Active
Vicious
AlexanderRM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:55 AM »

First of all, I'd like to suggest that if Simon would even potentially consider implementing this, he should make it so that you can't use the name of an existing NPC shaman or trader (most likely allowing you to be something like "Tom", just not "trader tom"). Or come to think of it, just check if any of them are used already.
Oh, and reserve Santa and Chief Elf as well. Dunno what the elves would have, there are only two of them but there's nothing to distinguish between them. Maybe I should reserve any discussion of that until next Christmas: Simon is bound to change something.

Excellent idea. Some theatrical background might be nice, too, eg.

Movak is a roaming shaman originally from Dalpok. Many years ago he was a simple hunter, who ascended the mountain in search of food. Movak stumbled upon a sacred temple, and met Skulu, the high priestess of the mountain temple of the Unseen One. Skulu taught Movak the powers of the shaman, and the two dared to fall in love. The Unseen One became furious, and cast them from the mountain temple. By reason of the Unseen One's wrath and the peculiarity of his magical curse, Movak and Skulu are doomed to look for each other across the breadth of the island, but are invisible to each other's presence.

Igoban and Zakano are identical twin sisters from Wiksik who detested each other from birth. The jealousy and anger harboured by the twins of each other culminated in a fearsome oath, the only matter the two sisters have ever agreed upon: they have vowed never to rest upon land where the other has set foot. And so by reason of their respective restlessness have never ceased walking the island, sustained only by their magical shamanic powers and all-consuming bitterness.

Atok says he is the husband of Shartak, a beautiful mermaid. She is charming and warm, and loves all her children. Her only flaw is a voracious appetite. She ate and ate and ate until she became the size of an island. Too big to scratch herself, she commands Atok to run about her body and scratch where it itches. But Atok has always had a dry sense of humour, and no one can be sure if he is telling the truth, or not.

Nice, that would finally allow us to tell what gender the shamen are. Though actually, that would be very annoying when we're in the habit of calling them all "he" and suddenly have to remember which are male and which are female.

FirstAmongstDaves

Does other things too.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 04:00:39 AM »

Lovely one. Except... i always thought the shamen were males. hahaha

I'll try my hand with Trader Tom.
Trader Tom, born as Thomas Morrow, is a Trader. He currently operates a monopoly in trading in Derby. He was a famed conartist back in Canada before he was captured by bounty hunters hired by the Empire. He was given the choice of losing three pairs of socks, three tracts of land or staying on Shartak for three thousand years. Having no socks or land to lose, Tom was exiled to Shartak without another word. Upon arriving, Tom's survival instincts kicked in. He set up his shop and he found that scamming the outsiders and natives alike was good business.

Heh. Very good!

Perhaps we should assemble these as a "Tales of Shartak" compendium on the Wiki, if they are not used.

Read my stuff!!! -  www.worldcomicbookreview.com
Spiritz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 04:53:27 AM »

It sounds like a good idea, but more so with the suggestion that the townspeople be allowed to change the profiles of their corresponding shaman/trader.  Though, how the roaming shamans, Santa, etc. are treated is fair game.  I don't think that the 2 little elves should get profiles though.

However, I realize that allowing the NPCs to have profiles is going to bite me in the if I don't pick up the pace in accomplishing my goals.
lama
iz doin it rite akshully

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »

I don't think that the 2 little elves should get profiles though.

HATER

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: